Putting The Cart Before The Dog. And Goat. And Oh Good Heavens.

Do you suppose these goat carts sprung from the necessity of transportation, all horses having been taken into the War? In the South, near the War's end, those goats, etc. would have been eaten by starving the women and children.

Somewhere, I have a picture of my mother at about age 2, riding in a decorated goat cart in a parade. It was an advertising stunt for her father. I like the picture of the bunny driving the chicken.

Annie, where are you?
1610937375781.png

At least in this one the chicken's nearly as big as the child.

White_House--Major_Russell_Harrison_and_Harrison_children--Baby_McKee_and_sister_on_goat_cart.jpg

President Benjamin Harrison's Grandchildren enjoying their goat cart on the White House Lawn
(Public Domain)

Benjamin Harrison McKee born March 15, 1887 and was President Benjamin Harrison’s grandson. When President Harrison moved into the White House on March 4, 1889 he brought his daughter to live with him. Baby McKee as he became known was quite a little superstar and captured to American press and its people. The following story was reported:

“Baby McKee” was riding his cart being pulled by his pet goat. Apparently the goat was contented to ride about the White House lawn, until he thought the grass was greener somewhere else and decided to have a quick run down Pennsylvania Avenue. Grandpa Harrison led the chase down the avenue to capture the happy goat and boy and bring them home.” {*}

Must have been interesting to see the President running after the goat cart.

{*} (Source)

I have seen a photo of my Mom in a goat cart, but I am not sure I could locate it again.

Back