Impressions Putting a hem on my Trousers...

I suppose this shall be one of my winter projects. The trousers I have are of the mounted service pattern, of a mid grade quality (some of the reenforcement cloth is not quite right, as the reenforcing dosen’t cover the seat but I believe they were converted from regular infantry trousers. But they are well made and have much life remaining in them.), and fit me well. But the bottoms are getting sort of frayed and I have been looking to try and hem them and add the four boot-strap buttons on the inside of the pant leg anyhow. The only problem is that they fit me so well that any hem would have to be ultra thin width to not wind up making them too short for me... any ideas of how to go about this? Was thinking of possibly adding more material over both reenforceing layer and regular layer of wool to form a new cuff and the go from there? Was the reenforcing material for mounted trousers even hemmed on originals?

Last edited:
Since these trousers are already in use, let's think about what the company tailor might have done in winter quarters.

I'd remove the cuff facing (reinforcing layer) and turn it inside out, then pin it on the outside of the trouser leg ("right sides together"), matching bottom edges.

Sew the layers together, taking the narrowest seam you can that covers the frayed and damaged area.

Turn the trousers inside out, then press the seam open. Turn the facing up into place, and press the edge at the original length. The new seam will be a little above the bottom edge, but the only length you will lose is in the facing.

Finish with a row of stitching near the new seam, and tacking the upper edge of facing in place on the inside.

Back