Pumpkin spice season is upon us, but was pumpkin spice even known during the Civil War?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
We are about to be hammered with pumpkin spice foods. Every thing from ice-cream to coffee. It is truly amazing what "pumpkin spice" can be added to this time of year. So was pumpkin spice even a known thing during the Civil War? Pumpkins were well-known before the Civil War as were most spices, so exactly what is "pumpkin spice" and was this a thing during the Civil War? The first thing to look at would be what kind of spices were added to pumpkin pies and other pumpkin dishes during the Civil War era and compare that to today's pumpkin spice items. I do wonder what a Civil War soldier would have though about a pumpkin spice latte or pumpkin spice pancakes?

This thread does give us an opportunity to discuss the use of pumpkins during the Civil
War. Who can be the first to give us a Civil War era pumpkin pie recipe we can try out?

We changed over to pumpkin spice scent plug in air fresheners for fall. So now my house smells like pumpkin pie. This smell make me want a slice of pumpkin pie.

Back