NF Pulitzer Prize for "Wilmington's Lie"

Non-Fiction

Bruce Vail

Captain
About two weeks ago the Pulitzer Prize committee announced the winner of the 2021 competition in the general nonfiction book catergory is Wilmington's Lie: The Murderous Coup of 1898 and the Rise of **** by David Zucchino.

The book is very much a Civil War book, the date of the coup notwithstanding, because it tells the tale of how Southern whites violently reclaimed the political and social power in Wilmington, NC, that they had lost in the Civil War. It is a story rich with Civil War symbolism, for example, one of the principal leaders of the coup was the Confederate army veteran Col. Alfred Waddell.

The book is excellent in many respects and I have been enjoying reading various selections since I received it as a Christmas gift. I had added it my list of Christmas 'would likes' because of some very good reviews I had seen. I was hoping for an up-to-date and comprehensive overview and my hope was well rewarded. I was also hoping for some additional clarity on the role of Wilmington's business commuity in the coup, but the book is less successful in this regard.

Anybody else have any thoughts on the book?

Last edited:
About two weeks ago the Pulitzer Prize committee announced the winner of the 2021 competition in the general nonfiction book catergory is Wilmington's Lie: The Murderous Coup of 1898 and the Rise of **** by David Zucchino.

This book looks great -- I've got it on my reading list. Is there any place in Wilmington that does a good job telling the history of this coup? I was there briefly in February and found a memorial -- but it's in a kind of desolate location and seems not very well cared for.

WilmingtonMemorial.JPG

ARB

This book looks great -- I've got it on my reading list. Is there any place in Wilmington that does a good job telling the history of this coup? I was there briefly in February and found a memorial -- but it's in a kind of desolate location and seems not very well cared for.

View attachment 406049

ARB

Were you trying to make this monument look unattractive with photo gimmicks? It reminds me of the worst of Communist Poland!

Some skillful landscaping would go along way to making it a more welcoming site.

Last edited:
Were you trying to make this monument look unattactive with photo gimmicks? It reminds me of the worst of Communist Poland.

A little attractive landscaping would go along way.

Let me try to be a little more artistic:

WilmingtonMemorial2.JPG

Anyway, I'm glad that there's something in Wilmington to call attention to this horrific event, but I'm just wondering whether there's a museum or exhibit that tells the story more thoroughly. Maybe there's more being planned for this location in the future...

ARB

Back