Proud To Be A Rebel. A Fair Answer

I had an Uncle in the 24th VA Cav. He is the brother of my avatar (47th VA Inf).

View attachment 258571

What's crazy to me about my pictured GGG Uncle..... is how much he & my Mother's brother look alike.
Great photo. I am still trying to find one of my ancestors photo in uniform other than Stuart and Jackson. So far no luck. I have photos out of uniform but not with.

Well here's the thing: Maryland's governor was a Unionist (like Delaware) and nearly half of its population was black (free to be precise) and the rest of Maryland was not slavery heavy so other than the whole Baltimore thing (occurring in a city with a large free black population) it was not in danger that much.

Check your facts, friend. The population of Md. was not half African American, free or slave, in 1860 (or any other time).

See http://www.civil-war.net/pages/1860_census.html

Last edited:
I admire any man who is willing to fight and perhaps die for what they believe. But what about when your cause is wrong and immoral?.

IMO, the south never brought into the American dream of freedom for all men from the very beginning.

Those southern patriots should have rebelled against the ruling class of their slavocracy.

I admire any man who is willing to fight and perhaps die for what they believe. But what about when your cause is wrong and immoral?.

IMO, the south never brought into the American dream of freedom for all men from the very beginning.

Those southern patriots should have rebelled against the ruling class of their slavocracy.
Neither did anybody else in the "land of the free."

I wonder if the "slavocracy" would include that Virginian and southerner George Washington, Father of his Country and owner of many slaves? Did he buy into the American dream of freedom for all?

When Thomas Jefferson wrote "we hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal" in 1776, he was at the time one of the largest planters in Virginia, which meant a lot of slaves. How does that impact what he wrote? Did he probably have blinders on? I think so.

We need to be careful when pointing fingers. Some great men, without whom we would not be a country today, owned slaves. And I imagine Washington might well have been proud to be a rebel. This mindset that the South is "the other", the "villain" of American history is one that needs to be discarded, and the sooner the better. It's simply untrue. The South and its people has always been as American as everyone else in the US.

Last edited:

the war was never about slavery. the war was a cultural war between a industrial north and a agricultural south. the north wanted to mold the south into its own image and that challenged the southern way of life

***Posted as Moderator***
Once again, this thread is intended to discuss pride in our rebel ancestors.
Please stay on topic and respect the views of others.
If you can't, don't post here!

Off topic posts will be deleted!

Proud of them for what? Fighting to break up the Country Edited.?
Kevin Dally
Few humans are one dimensional in their beliefs and actions. One can admire another person for some of his/her beliefs and actions while despising them for their other beliefs and actions.

Back