Protecting the investment

SEHatfield

Private
My first saber is on the way. Do you have methods you use to protect your edged weapons? The leather grip, the blade, the scabbard?

S

I agree with @johan_steele be sure to post some photos when you get it.

Renaissance Wax

That’s what was recommended to me by some serious collectors years ago. Most museums use it. I like it and use it and it’s easy to apply. Just a small amount will cover a large area. Although it’s regarded as an excellent product there are a few collectors that feel otherwise. There’s a good deal of information and reviews online to help you to decide if it’s right for you.

Frank

Here's what I use...

1) Clean blade using Break Free or similar gun clean/protection products lightly. This will also help remove surface rust, etc.. Idea is to not scratch up the blade, be gentle. Some folks also use an antler in pitted areas.

2) On leather grips and leather scabbards, I use Pecard Leather Dressing. I don't use anything on the shark/rayskin grips.

3) Finally a light coat of Renaissance Wax on the blade.

4) I store them all in a glass display case. Cuts down on dust. Also, store them outside of their scabbard. Every few months I dust off and check them up close. Try to keep your fingerprints off the blades.

Back