Proposed Invasion of Charleston harbor by the North

The Fox expedition had orders to initiate military action lawful under the Militia Acts. Its intent was to enforce US sovereignty in an area where sovereignty was in dispute. It was not an invasion because it did not get there in time. If it had gotten there, it would not be an invasion in the Union POV dictated by claims of sovereignty. It would be an invasion in the CSA POV also dictated by claims of sovereignty. The fact of invasion would be settled several years later. I find the debate over the term invasion, to be quibbling, but you all have fun at it.

Davis initiated military action first. Maybe the remaining States in the Union were ready to go to war or maybe not without that. Lincoln's leadership had shifted public opinion from debate/compromise to ready, but it was not a sure thing. Some historians paint Lincoln as lucky. I agree, but Lincoln prepared the nation for war so he hedged his bets. Davis shifted the probability far in Lincoln's favor. It could have been a blame Lincoln fest and our history would have been different if the Fox expedition had open fire first. It did not happen.

In any case it was not a hearts and flowers expedition. It was a expedition with the apparent intend to make the Rebels either acknowledge the Union as their sovereign or got to war. With the fate of his nation on his shoulders, Davis chose war. If I have been a Davis adviser and asked about going to war I'd say what are you waiting on. Likewise if Lincoln had asked me, I'd agree with his actions. It is history not a morality play.

There were less than 100 soldiers and bandsmen on Sumter. I think it was about 85, including a regimental band.

Ole, I include those aboard the so-called "invasion fleet." Simply a silly argument when viewed from a miltary standpoint. I believe the Confederate forces in command of the Charleston area had at least a few men educated in the military arts, including Jefferson Davis.

Ole, I include those aboard the so-called "invasion fleet." Simply a silly argument when viewed from a miltary standpoint. I believe the Confederate forces in command of the Charleston area had at least a few men educated in the military arts, including Jefferson Davis.
At the time of Fort Sumter Davis was a war hero with more military experience than any of the generals on the field.

Back