Proposed: CivilWarTalk Photography Contest

I think we should have a category for historical but non-civil war related, as we have many members who live far from anything even remotely related to the war...
Directly contravening my recommendation for keeping it as simple as possible. Maybe next time, when Mike gets it figured out.

I wonder if it might be possible to add a "General Monuments" category, as long as it is Civil War related? Lots of cities and towns have monuments to the Civil War vet and it would allow folks that do not live near a battlefield to participate. Plus it might allow all of us to see monuments we may never see otherwise. Just a thought.

I wonder if it might be possible to add a "General Monuments" category, as long as it is Civil War related? Lots of cities and towns have monuments to the Civil War vet and it would allow folks that do not live near a battlefield to participate. Plus it might allow all of us to see monuments we may never see otherwise. Just a thought.

Thats a good idea and would include alot of people who wouldnt be able to particpate due to their location not near any battlefields...

I think this is a great idea, I also have a ton of pix taken prior to 2011, please don't the dates yet...
My category suggestions:

Reenactments
Battlefield Scenes (including monuments, cannon etc)
Nature shots taken @ battlefields
Encroachment on battlefields by development (show what we're losing daily)
Then and now shots.

Just my suggestion, hope it helps.

Thanks, kel. It is exactly the kind of input Mike wants to hone in on the final determination of the contest.

I will submit no photos, but I will vote on the pictures of those who do. It's a great idea.

Right now I'd like to say that the contest is open to any type of Civil War related photos that you've taken (Battlefield, Reenactment, Cemetery, Monuments, Parades, Living History, Camp Scenes, even portrait photos of Reenactors in Uniform).

Photos may be taken in a Modern Photo Style or Recreated 1860's Photo Style.

For this year at least, I don't think we will limit the time frame that the photo was taken, any photo you have taken will be acceptable.

Categories and Awards are to be determined.

Thanks Ole, glad I could contribute!
Thanks, kel. It is exactly the kind of input Mike wants to hone in on the final determination of the contest.

I will submit no photos, but I will vote on the pictures of those who do. It's a great idea.

Bumped to the top and added sticky.

Oooops! Don't get to add the sticky. Wilber will have to do it.

Where do we submit?

I am sure that I have not been to nearly as many reenactments or battlefields as some of you but I have a few pics that I would consider submitting.

I'd like to echo what JWheeler said...where do we submit? I am very interested in entering the contest.

We aren't ready today to start accepting photos, but we are leaning, if I can get permission, to use Flickr.

Okay, well, we can't use Flickr, Civil War Trust seems to be able to use Flickr because they are a non-profit... Hmmmm.... I'll start investigating alternatives. If anyone has any other ideas, let me know....

Someone could create a photobucket account. Photos can be sent to the person in charge, and the album made public so everyone can view them.

Photobucket is one alternative I am considering... however, it doesn't have exactly what I want for our contest, if I find no better alternative, we will use it, but right now I think I've found what I'm looking for...

Back