Proposed Carvana site would demolish CW earthworks

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Jamieva

1st Lieutenant
Ugh. This hits home for me as this is Bermuda Hundred campaign ground. The cavalier attitude of the company just peeves me off. Here's the money quote from the article. This is how businesses like this work...oh we will just donate some money and we're all good right? So now I'm up at 1 am writing emails to County supervisors.

In response to a question about conserving a Civil War-era earthworks on the property, Ward said the company did not plan to do that, but has had conversations with a couple of representatives from area historical societies. He said the company is trying to figure out what to do about mitigating the historical loss, including making a monetary donation, for example.

http://villagenewsonline.com/2019/06/11/carvana-explains-plans-for-woods-edge-road-site/

Jamieva

1st Lieutenant

dlofting

First Sergeant
I agree that the company's attitude.....or maybe it's just their manager.....is infuriating. Could they not preserve at least some of the works. I think that plus any design changes required would be a far better use of money than a "donation". It would also show that they are willing to take people's concerns seriously.

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
This is the story in dozens of cities. My home town of Baltimore was heavily fortified and most of the fortifications are long gone. We have Fort McHenry, of course, but as a history lover I would wish for more.

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
This is the story in dozens of cities. My home town of Baltimore was heavily fortified and most of the fortifications are long gone. We have Fort McHenry, of course, but as a history lover I would wish for more.
As a landowner and business owner can see both sides.