"Proper" uniform...

NCjones

Private
I'm looking for help with assembling my confederate uniform the most prototypical way. My SCV camp has a few that dress in uniforms 2 or 3 times a year for various events, but we aren't "pro's" and most of the guys aren't nit-picky about how prototypical they look. I'm aiming for the NC Infantry soldier look.

Pictures I've seen of re-enactors vary a lot from what I think is prototypical looking to plain outright silly looking (I think ya'll call it "farb"), so that isn't much help. Plus what I think is prototypical looking might not actually be because I'm a noob.

I have a canteen on a sling, a cartridge case on a sling, a canvas haversack, and a cap pouch w/ belt loops, and of course a leather belt.

The way I have it planned, I would have the haversack on my left side and the cartridge box on my right side both slings underneath the leather belt, the cap pouch on the belt right side, and the canteen on the left side, sling not under the belt. Is that pretty close? Or did soldiers sort of wear stuff however they felt was most comfortable for them?

Thanks.

2 things...Don't listen to the SCV on uniform requirements, and be real careful on looking at reenactor uniform pictures, they many times get their authenticity from Hollywood!:rofl:

An authentic North Carolina Sack Coat, (great looking, but early war) or North Carolina Jacket would work. Run a search for both items, I'm off for work, can't give you much more info, but when I get home I'll have more time to help you out!

Kevin Dally

Yeah that's what I was saying. If it's gray it's close enough for them. :smile:
I have a shell jacket, but that's just what I have (none of the fancy stripes or trim and junk, just plain gray). Don't know if it is realistic NC or not.

Before I go, I'll post this bit of info I wrote in out unit's NL on the N.C. Jacket...sorry, can't post a pic of one right now...

Kevin Dally
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
North Carolina Jacket

One of the most industrialized Southern States, North Carolina had the advantage of Ports being kept open till late in the war, along with the Blockade Runners coming in, bringing in supplies.
Being in the middle, she could send to the North or South via railroads at ease. With Virginia just above her, and Georgia and Tennessee adjacent, the distance was closer than any other State. No major disruptions caused by the ravages of war, kept the mills & factories going till Sherman's invasion in 1865.
Governor Vance was very effective in organizing Quartermaster shops to distribute clothing to not only his troops, but to other States troops as well.
One example of clothing coming from North Carolina is this Shell Jacket. All of the NC Shell Jackets are made of wool/cotton jean cloth, with either a twill or square weave cotton lining. Evidently a variety of shades of jeans were used, which originated from various mills.It was constructed with a 4 piece body instead of the standard 6 pieces. There were no "side pieces" like all other jackets.
The NC jackets all seem to conform to a basic pattern, but each example has its own unique characteristics. The major variations among these coats includes any # of buttons, 1- or 2-piece sleeves, collar shape/height, interior pocket construction ("patch" or "slit"), presence or absence of belt loops (which have a black, 4-hole "compressed pasteboard" buttons on their tops), and details regarding the interior jeans facings.
Based on examinations of original jackets, and study of period pictures of NC soldiers, is that the jackets produced ca. 1862-'63 primarily had 2-piece sleeves, belt loops, and a taller squared-off collar, and occasionally had 7 buttons instead of 6. Later in the war, the belt loops were omitted, 1-piece sleeves became prevalent, and the collars were generally shorter and more rounded.
As far as buttons go, the general consensus is that these jackets were usually issued with "State Seal" and/or "Sunburst" buttons on them; these were often removed by non-NC troops who were issued these coats, and replaced with buttons more to the liking of the wearer. It is interesting to note that years ago relic hunters in north Georgia used to find groups of 6 buttons lying about where the non-NC soldiers would cut off the NC buttons from the NC jackets and put on some other button(s), so as to not be I’d as a NC soldier (either dead or alive).
How many of this type of Jacket were produced between 1862-65 is unknown, but the quantity must have been immense. Many of this style of jacket were issued to Army of Tennessee Troops at Dalton, Georgia during the winter of 63-64 and at Palmetto, Georgia in September 64, and during the Carolinas Campaign.
Judging from their frequency of appearance in period photos, NC's overall ability to keep its troops supplied while having jackets to spare, shows how North Carolina supplied (Sometimes grudgingly) the Patriots of the Confederacy.
Kevin Dally

The Richmond Depot jacket type I and II would also be appropriate for portraying Tarheels in the ANV. For a late war impression Tait jackets were also issued in limited numbers.

The North Carolina Jacket is a good mid to late war jacket to have for both ANV, and AoT. If I was to get another jacket for my Confederate impression, It most likely would be a N.C. Depot Jacket.
N.C. Jacket.png

Not the best picture of one, but folk can get an idea of how it looks.
http://www.bnbtart.com/catalog/item/8565513/9445253.htm has info, and better pictures, and material these jackets can be made of.
Please stay away from blanket wool type made clothing so many heritage folk and main-streamers wear!
Expired Image Removed

Kevin Dally

Good stuff here. I'd say consider your comfort. You are going to find you will need it in re-enactments. I've found that the biggest concern of re-en-actors is the safety of your equipment as far as they are concerned. They do not particular like some fire arms.

Tin Cup,

I remember you posting a link regarding CS uniforms which were not only gray and butternut but of undyed wool uniforms, giving them a white, yellow or slightly gray appearance. I don't know if that would apply to NC troops. Nonetheless, I thought the information you gave out was really informative. Certainly, a white, undyed (sp?) jacket is not as romantic as the gray and butternut, but it was a reality. A reality that is, perhaps, overlooked.

Tin Cup,

I remember you posting a link regarding CS uniforms which were not only gray and butternut but of undyed wool uniforms, giving them a white, yellow or slightly gray appearance. I don't know if that would apply to NC troops. Nonetheless, I thought the information you gave out was really informative. Certainly, a white, undyed (sp?) jacket is not as romantic as the gray and butternut, but it was a reality. A reality that is, perhaps, overlooked.
http://www.adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/uploads/2/8/2/6/2826199/drab.pdf
http://www.adolphusconfederateuniforms.com/uploads/2/8/2/6/2826199/houston_uniforms.pdf
I think the undyed clothing would be more for Trans Mississippi, and usage in the Western theater. There are hardly any surviving examples of that actual type clothing...http://transmsbrigade.artshost.com/applerjackt.html
Some good additions have been contributed by others to this thread!:thumbsup:

Kevin Dally

Back