Program on Irish in the American Civil War

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I will be speaking tonight on Irish Immigrants in the Civil War at the Irish Cultural Society in Garden City, N.Y. As I have mentioned before this is my first time giving a live in-door lecture in a year-and-a-half. I will be covering why Irish immigrants came to the U.S., where they settled, the Know Nothing reaction, the outbreak of war, recruitment of soldiers, immigrant women during the war years, the Draft Riots' racial attacks on African Americans, the impact of war on families, and immigrants in the post-war world. The program is free. -Pat Young

irish garden city.PNG

I will be speaking tonight on Irish Immigrants in the Civil War at the Irish Cultural Society in Garden City, N.Y. As I have mentioned before this is my first time giving a live in-door lecture in a year-and-a-half. I will be covering why Irish immigrants came to the U.S., where they settled, the Know Nothing reaction, the outbreak of war, recruitment of soldiers, immigrant women during the war years, the Draft Riots' racial attacks on African Americans, the impact of war on families, and immigrants in the post-war world. The program is free. -Pat Young

View attachment 418188
The only other thing that could be mentioned is that the Irish immigrants became a nation when they got to the US. They may have realized, they weren't English and they weren't American, and they needed each other and the Democratic party.

The presence of the Irish and other working class English immigrants in the US was probably an unmentioned factor that caused Palmerston and George Cornewall Lewis to slow things down considerably during the contemplation of forced mediation in October of 1862.

We are up at 70% vaccination now and a lot of things are better, though there was social distancing etc at the event. Unfortunately we are seeing some new cases in middle schools where the kids can't get the vaccine.
Well, they're kids, so most of them haven't compromised their health. Hopefully they won't be effective carriers for the pathogen.

Congratulations on making it out of the house! If you ever do anything an hour or two North of there, please let me know. It sound like the sort of presentation I'd really enjoy! There's a fellow named Damian Shiels who's doing a program on the Irish experience in Andersonville down in Georgia on Veteran's Day weekend, but, alas, I cannot make that one, either.

More and more normal stuff like in person lectures. :nerd:
We are up at 70% vaccination now and a lot of things are better, though there was social distancing etc at the event. Unfortunately we are seeing some new cases in middle schools where the kids can't get the vaccine.
Congratulations on making it out of the house! If you ever do anything an hour or two North of there, please let me know. It sound like the sort of presentation I'd really enjoy! There's a fellow named Damian Shiels who's doing a program on the Irish experience in Andersonville down in Georgia on Veteran's Day weekend, but, alas, I cannot make that one, either.
I strongly recommend that anyone able to try to make Damien’s presentation on the Irish at Andersonville.

View attachment 418188
My wife came over from Ireland about 30 years ago. I wish she could be there it might peak her interest in the Civil War.

More and more normal stuff like in person lectures. :nerd:
I strongly recommend that anyone able to try to make Damien’s presentation on the Irish at Andersonville.
My wife came over from Ireland about 30 years ago. I wish she could be there it might peak her interest in the Civil War.
would have been good

Pat congratulations on being able to get back to a semblance of normal! I know you enjoy sharing with others and this will be a very enjoyable event for you! Wish it was on Zoom
Regards
David
Thanks. It was great fun for me. I appreciated being able to see the people I was talking to, it helped me judge how long to spend on a subject and it was a lot more interesting Q&A than I get on Zoom.

Whenever I hear about the Irish in/coming to America it has me thinking about the song Paddy's Lamentation. If anyone has not heard of it give it a listen.

Back