Production of military supplies at the Alabama State penitentiary during the Civil War

Poorville

Corporal
I recently came across the above paper published in The Alabama Review, April 2014.

The author, Brett J. Derbes, concludes that “…the inmates of the Alabama State Penitentiary significantly contributed to the war effort and the Alabama Treasury throughout nearly the entire conflict.”

I would be interested to learn of other instances of this and how widespread the practice was across the Confederacy and the Union.

Derbes covers the prison from its opening in 1842 with inmates involved in loss making production of a wide range of goods throughout the antebellum period. When the Civil War started, the workshops turned to manufacturing a variety of military supplies for the Confederacy, including knapsacks, shoes, wagon covers, and a variety of tents. The Civil War saw production become profitable for its private owners. Interestingly prisoners were often released to sign up for the Confederacy. In the spring of 1865 Union forces under General James H. Wilson targeted Confederate manufactories in Central Alabama, overtook the penitentiary, and released all the remaining inmates.

Derbes, Brett J. "The production of military supplies at the Alabama State penitentiary during the Civil War." The Alabama Review, vol. 67, no. 2, 2014, p. 131+.

I share your interest in this topic and I'd love to know more.

You might find DERBES, BRETT J. “Prison Productions: Textiles and Other Military Supplies at the Louisiana State Penitentiary in the Civil War.” Louisiana History: The Journal of the Louisiana Historical Association, vol. 55, no. 1, 2014, pp. 40–64 to be a helpful article.

The author claims that the Louisiana State Penitentiary produced 3,032,615 yards of cloth in 1861 for a profit of $79,568.48 (page 47).

The author concludes "Confederate officials efficiently used the penitentiary in an atmosphere of war, and the inmates greatly contributed to the war effort through their constant labor in the workshops and textile mills." (page 64)

You might also see the Official Records, Series 1, Volume 15, page 807 in which Ruggles ordered Beale at Port Hudson to protect the machinery at the Louisiana State Penitentiary, so he clearly considered the production facilities valuable.

I share your interest in this topic and I'd love to know more.

You might find DERBES, BRETT J. “Prison Productions: Textiles and Other Military Supplies at the Louisiana State Penitentiary in the Civil War.” Louisiana History: The Journal of the Louisiana Historical Association, vol. 55, no. 1, 2014, pp. 40–64 to be a helpful article.

The author claims that the Louisiana State Penitentiary produced 3,032,615 yards of cloth in 1861 for a profit of $79,568.48 (page 47).

The author concludes "Confederate officials efficiently used the penitentiary in an atmosphere of war, and the inmates greatly contributed to the war effort through their constant labor in the workshops and textile mills." (page 64)

You might also see the Official Records, Series 1, Volume 15, page 807 in which Ruggles ordered Beale at Port Hudson to protect the machinery at the Louisiana State Penitentiary, so he clearly considered the production facilities valuable.
Thanks CThrasher, Mr Derbes has written extensively on the subject and thank you for the specific link. I am hoping others on the Forum may be able to offer up further instances of this from other States both in the Confederacy and Union.
Poorville

It seems most Southern Penitentiarys were geared up for some sort of War Effort. Texas put out many many yards of cloth as in textiles.Cotton, I think.

According to Confederate Papers Relating to Citizens or Business Firms, 1861-65 and collated by Brett Derbes the Alabama State penitentiary produced 13,894 tents of various types between September 14, 1861 and March 31, 1864.

Hello everyone! I'm glad to see that you are so interested in the this topic. I expanded my research to include the penitentiaries in TX, LA, AL, AR, MS, AL, TN, GA, and VA for my dissertation. Each chapter describes the conditions at the prison, items produced, competition with local labor, wartime changes, and condition of the prison after the Civil War. My dissertation is currently embargoed and I'm working on the book at the moment. Let me know if you have any questions.

in 1861 for a profit of $79,568.48 (page 47).

War profiteering goes with every war. Seems like more people should be patriots and charge their govt as little as possible, in the spirit of supporting the cause.

Using prison labor would not be too far off slave labor, so the profits would be great.

Thanks CThrasher, Mr Derbes has written extensively on the subject and thank you for the specific link. I am hoping others on the Forum may be able to offer up further instances of this from other States both in the Confederacy and Union.
Poorville
You might check out Angela Zombek's book Penitentiaries, Punishment, and Military Prisons: Familiar Responses to an Extraordinary Crisis During the American Civil War (2018). It is a great book and compares examples of prison camps and penitentiaries in the Union and Confederacy.

It seems most Southern Penitentiarys were geared up for some sort of War Effort. Texas put out many many yards of cloth as in textiles.Cotton, I think.
You are correct. According to my research the textile mill at the Texas State Penitentiary produced several million yards of cloth, with a few million yards sold to the Confederate Army. Please forgive my vagueness... as I'm keeping the juicy details for the book. :smile:

The Confederate Chief of the Engineering Bureau interacted with the Virginia Penitentiary numerous times, usually regarding axes and shovels. The QMs made arrangements to transport grindstones for the Penitentiary's use.
You are correct. According to my research the workshops produced thousands of axes, pole axes, and axe helves, amongst other items, during the war. In VA the inmates produced a large amount of supplies for cavalry soldiers, such as leather straps, saddles, bridles, and whatnot. Please excuse my vagueness as I'm saving the details for the forthcoming book. :smile:

I recently came across the above paper published in The Alabama Review, April 2014.

The author, Brett J. Derbes, concludes that “…the inmates of the Alabama State Penitentiary significantly contributed to the war effort and the Alabama Treasury throughout nearly the entire conflict.”

I would be interested to learn of other instances of this and how widespread the practice was across the Confederacy and the Union.

Derbes covers the prison from its opening in 1842 with inmates involved in loss making production of a wide range of goods throughout the antebellum period. When the Civil War started, the workshops turned to manufacturing a variety of military supplies for the Confederacy, including knapsacks, shoes, wagon covers, and a variety of tents. The Civil War saw production become profitable for its private owners. Interestingly prisoners were often released to sign up for the Confederacy. In the spring of 1865 Union forces under General James H. Wilson targeted Confederate manufactories in Central Alabama, overtook the penitentiary, and released all the remaining inmates.

Derbes, Brett J. "The production of military supplies at the Alabama State penitentiary during the Civil War." The Alabama Review, vol. 67, no. 2, 2014, p. 131+.

Where was the Alabama Penitentiary in those days?

In the spring of 1865 Union forces under General James H. Wilson targeted Confederate manufactories in Central Alabama, overtook the penitentiary, and released all the remaining inmates.

I suppose he just wanted to deprive the rebels of the prisoners' labor, but inmates of a state penitentiary were presumably legitimately convicted criminals, not the sort one should be letting loose.

Hello everyone! I'm glad to see that you are so interested in the this topic. I expanded my research to include the penitentiaries in TX, LA, AL, AR, MS, AL, TN, GA, and VA for my dissertation. Each chapter describes the conditions at the prison, items produced, competition with local labor, wartime changes, and condition of the prison after the Civil War. My dissertation is currently embargoed and I'm working on the book at the moment. Let me know if you have any questions.
Welcome, enjoy

Where was the Alabama Penitentiary in those days?

The Alabama State Penitentiary was the original name of the Wetumpka State Penitentiary, and was the first state prison in Alabama. It was housed on the east bank of the Coosa River in Wetumpka and took its first inmate in 1842.

Back