Private James Peters

gentlemanrob

Major
My great great great Uncle was a Private with Company H 11th Georgia Infantry he enlisted in March of 1862. He died from Smallpox in May of 1862 in Richmond Virginia. For almost a 100 yrs this was all that was known. I was told the family had tried to locate his remains but with no luck. I had always wondered growing up what happened to James's remains. A few years ago I located his burial spot in the Soldier Section where he had an unmarked grave at Hollywood Cemetery. I would visit his grave every time I would travel to Washington DC. I would always pay my respects to my uncle knowing he had done his duty. I recently found out the Richmond SCV put him up a marker I am so happy about this. I also found out they are dedicating his grave in October of this year. This means a lot to me I wanted to share this with the site.

James T Peters.jpeg

My great great great Uncle was a Private with Company H 11th Georgia Infantry he enlisted in March of 1862. He died from Smallpox in May of 1862 in Richmond Virginia. For almost a 100 yrs this was all that was known. I was told the family had tried to locate his remains but with no luck. I had always wondered growing up what happened to James's remains. A few years ago I located his burial spot in the Soldier Section where he had an unmarked grave at Hollywood Cemetery. I would visit his grave every time I would travel to Washington DC. I would always pay my respects to my uncle knowing he had done his duty. I recently found out the Richmond SCV put him up a marker I am so happy about this. I also found out they are dedicating his grave in October of this year. This means a lot to me I wanted to share this with the site.

View attachment 320317

A probable distant relative of mine served as a teamster with the 11th GA.

Nice.. One of my own ancestors that served in the 50th Ga is also buried in Hollywood. Discovered the location there back when I was a teen. Later had a stone made and placed on his then unmarked grave. Years ago I did a lot of the restoration, grave stone repairs in the soldiers section at Hollywood Cemetery.

Side note: Most of the Georgia troops sent to hospitals in Richmond were admitted into Winder Hospital, which had a Georgia Division within designated for Ga soldiers, especially since he was buried at Hollywood. Many of the medical facilities during that time of the war had state designations. Today Richmonds "Byrd Park" encompasses much of the area that Winder Hospital once was. It was quite an extensive hospital facility that frequently sparred with Chimborazo Hospital (East side of Richmond) as who was the largest or best. Winder had a larger sprawling facility covering nearly 125 acres, but Chimborazo had a larger patient capacity...

Back