ENDED Private CW Journal of J. Frank McDonald

Trader history (0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baroque

Cadet
I am investigating the demand for such an item.

The author of this volume received it from his brother and sister while in Memphis, Tennessee and signed and dated it September 30, 1864 on the initial page.

Page one of the journal discusses the 137th (state unlisted) and the 39th Wisconsin.

The final entry is dated March 30, 1865 and states that McDonald was scheduled to muster out on July 20, 1865 in Milwaukee.

Excerpt from the journal:

Sep 13. Detailed for Guard

Weather pleasant. cool and comfortable. the hot weather I guess has mainly gone.

I am on guard "Regular Detail. No 2. 3D Relief. Guard on the Stable.

Played a game of Base Ball in the Forenoon. The game is not so lively as usual. and will play out soon.

(Illegible) - and a squad of contrabands have been to work nearly all the afternoon laying out the grounds (occupied by our camp) for a breastwork. its dimensions will be as follows. 12 feet base. 61/2 Top. 6 feet High. 10 feet wide. to be occupied I understand by the 85th US.

No mail of any account.

Excerpt from the journal:

Sep 11. "In City"

The Illumination in the City took place "per programe, and from all accounts was a splendid affair. as only a few of our boys could get passes. we resolved to have a "circus" of our own. accordingly to work we went & from the old Brush. barrels. (illegible) of the 61st US, some made quite a respectable pile. and surmounted it with a stuffed figure of "Jeff Davis" and at 81/2 PM we set fire to the Pile. and I am certain Memphis could boast of no larger (illegible) illumination (while it lasted) than ours. Poor "Jeff Davis" burned like a match and quite as (illegible) will in times to come. (illegible)

Buyers of primary material either:

1) by because it relates to a state in which they have interest (SC books sell well in SC), or
1) interested because a relative served in the unit, or
2) researching a campaign/battle that the unit was involved in.

I buy things if they're reasonably priced. My approach to research is akin to net casting. You never know what you'll haul in.

I'm skeptical of the authenticity merely because of a couple of the terms... there has been quite a lot of stuff put out as original source material of late that has proven to be forgeries.

One is either interested or not... true but you literally never know what you'll find. A friend bought a collection of original letters in Alabama for $25. He was quite happy as they proved legitimate and he estimated their worth at approx $250. Apparently that made up for buying an "original journal" written in the late 1990's and cleverly aged to mimick an original.

In short caution is the root; let the buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back