Miniatures Prisoners at Gettysburg.

rebel brit

Captain
Forum Host
This Flat Plaque I made using Super Sculpey Firm Clay in 2013
It measures 6" high x 5" wide with the thickness being 1/4".

The first picture below shows the unpainted version cast in resin.
The second is yours truly taken at the CWT 2017 Gettysburg Muster. I found the exact location of the site of the Mathew Brady photograph taken at Seminary Ridge thanks to @Buckeye Bill's thread .
The third picture was painted for me by a friend from Germany.
The fourth picture was painted by another friend who took on the challenge of painting it in Black & White (monochrome).

Gettysburg 2a.jpg
IMG_0670.JPG

Gettysburg 1b.jpg
Gettysburg 1a-.jpg

This was my second attempt at sculpting a Flat Plaque, the first being a WW2 (Stalingrad) which I have just posted in the Non-Civil War Miniatures section. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/share-your-non-civil-war-miniatures-here.167925/page-18 #342

The second is yours truly taken at the CWT 2017 Gettysburg Muster. I found the exact location of the site of the Mathew Brady photograph taken at Seminary Ridge thanks to @Buckeye Bill's thread .
The fourth picture was painted by another friend who took on the challenge of painting it in Black & White (monochrome).

View attachment 380734 View attachment 380737

View attachment 380735 View attachment 380736

This was my second attempt at sculpting a Flat Plaque, the first being a WW2 (Stalingrad) which I have just posted in the Non-Civil War Miniatures section. https://civilwartalk.com/threads/share-your-non-civil-war-miniatures-here.167925/page-18 #342
That is another amazing sculpt. Both are well painted but the monochrome one is especially nice . I would have no idea even how to begin to paint like that.

Another VERY Nice piece. Thanks for sharing and give Gill our best.

rebel brit, that is a very impressive work. The photo of the Confederate prisoners at Gettysburg is well known but it is still one of my favorite ACW photos. This is what Lee's ANV really looked like...slim and defiant. No pretty cadet gray uniforms with kepis and shiny belts as in the Hollywood movies. Everything is there except for the rifles, cartridge boxes and cap boxes. They were a tough bunch to go up against.

Bill

rebel brit, that is a very impressive work. The photo of the Confederate prisoners at Gettysburg is well known but it is still one of my favorite ACW photos. This is what Lee's ANV really looked like...slim and defiant. No pretty cadet gray uniforms with kepis and shiny belts as in the Hollywood movies. Everything is there except for the rifles, cartridge boxes and cap boxes. They were a tough bunch to go up against.

Bill
Thanks Bill, one of my favorite descriptions of the Confederate soldier is this paragraph taken from the ' Emmitsburg Area Historical Society.' https://www.emmitsburg.net/archive_list/articles/history/civil_war/cwcr/maryland_campaign_c.htm
It describes their march through Frederick on the way to Antietam.

An unnamed citizen of Frederick City noted: "I have never seen a mass of such filthy strong-smelling men. Three in a room would make it unbearable, and when marching in column along the street the smell from them was most offensive... The filth that pervades them is most remarkable... They have no uniforms, but are all well armed and equipped, and have become so inured to hardships that they care but little for any of the comforts of civilization... They are the roughest looking set of creatures I ever saw, their features, hair and clothing matted with dirt and filth, and the scratching they kept up gave warrant of vermin in abundance." Another observer described the Confederates simply as "a lean and hungry set of wolves."

Very well done, both by rebelbrit and his friends. Please continue to share this fine work with us.

Everyone will have his or her own interpretation, but when I look at these three men, I see three different attitudes. The fellow on the left seems to be looking off into the distance, perhaps thinking of when he might be able to go home. The man in the center looks a bit angry at being captured, and perhaps displeased to have the fact of his capture being recorded for posterity. The soldier on the right seems to be pleased that someone thinks he is important enough to have his photo taken and has struck a pose of sorts. Of course, none of them may have been thinking anything of the kind.

Very well done, both by rebelbrit and his friends. Please continue to share this fine work with us.

Everyone will have his or her own interpretation, but when I look at these three men, I see three different attitudes. The fellow on the left seems to be looking off into the distance, perhaps thinking of when he might be able to go home. The man in the center looks a bit angry at being captured, and perhaps displeased to have the fact of his capture being recorded for posterity. The soldier on the right seems to be pleased that someone thinks he is important enough to have his photo taken and has struck a pose of sorts. Of course, none of them may have been thinking anything of the kind.
I believe I read somewhere that they were stragglers. I'm not sure if that is true.

I think Frassanito mentioned in his book that these three captured soldiers were picked out assembled and told to do whatever the photographer instructed them. Rest assured, there were armed guards present during the entire event. I would think a high level of anxiety was well within all three of these men when this image was captured.

View attachment 380734 View attachment 380737

View attachment 380735 View attachment 380736

I am so used to painting miniatures that when something new (to me) shows up I am like a baby that sees a puppy for the first time. Fortunately, as Dirty Harry said, "a man's got to know his limitations", which I do, except when it comes to eating desserts and knowing when to leave the golf course.

Congratulations on a wonderful work.

What is the background on who these prisoners were and what happened to them later. I would like to read some follow up on this if anyone can direct me. Thanks

Back