Recreated Priscilla Alden's Apple Moyse

Fairfield

Sergeant Major
Today was my morning up at the historical file where I was going through old files. There--misfiled--I found a recipe for Priscilla Alden's Apple Moyse. If the originator of the recipe truly was Priscilla Alden, it dates back to colonial times (however, looking at the measurements, it looks to have been modernized). There is a note on the recipe that reads: "apple moyse, as a term for apple pudding, appeared in the middle ages and later as an early American recipe."

Priscilla Aden's Apple Moyse

1 Cup Bread crumbs
1/2 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup butter
1/4 Cup honey
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
2 Cups strained applesauce, well seasoned

Cook the bread crumbs, milk and butter until smooth. Add the honey, applesauce, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Chill and serve with cream or a well flavored boiled custard sauce. (Serves 4)

"According to tradition, Priscilla Alden flavored her apple moyse with sanders, an aromatic spice derived from the heartwood of the sandlewood tree." Never having heard of this spice, I looked on line and found http://medievalcookery.com/spices/spices.html?Saunders

Mrs. V

2nd Lieutenant
Today was my morning up at the historical file where I was going through old files. There--misfiled--I found a recipe for Priscilla Alden's Apple Moyse. If the originator of the recipe truly was Priscilla Alden, it dates back to colonial times (however, looking at the measurements, it looks to have been modernized). There is a note on the recipe that reads: "apple moyse, as a term for apple pudding, appeared in the middle ages and later as an early American recipe."

Priscilla Aden's Apple Moyse

1 Cup Bread crumbs
1/2 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup butter
1/4 Cup honey
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ginger
2 Cups strained applesauce, well seasoned

Cook the bread crumbs, milk and butter until smooth. Add the honey, applesauce, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Chill and serve with cream or a well flavored boiled custard sauce. (Serves 4)

"According to tradition, Priscilla Alden flavored her apple moyse with sanders, an aromatic spice derived from the heartwood of the sandlewood tree." Never having heard of this spice, I looked on line and found http://medievalcookery.com/spices/spices.html?Saunders
Not a huge fan of “bread puddings” but this looks really tasty. You can make your own bread crumbs too..