Modern Princess Diana's Bread & Butter Pudding

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
As today is the 20th anniversary of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, I thought I'd share a recipe of her favorite dessert. She wasn't much for sweets or eating rich meals as she enjoyed salads, salmon and indulged in lamb on special occasions. But her very favorite sweet treat was bread and butter pudding - something I had never heard of before until I stumbled upon it in a magazine tribute recently. The recipe below is an adaptation of one Darren McGrady - her personal chef made for her and subsequently published in Eating Royally

Ingredients -
  • 4 ounces unsalted butter & more for greasing
  • 8 thin slices bread
  • 4 ounces golden raisins
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
  • 10 ounces whole milk
  • 3 ounces whole cream
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon powder nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 4 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur - optional
Directions -
  1. Grease a pie dish with butter.

2. Cut the crusts off the bread. Spread each slice on one side with butter, then cut into triangles.

3. Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of raisins. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon, then repeat the layers of bread and raisins, sprinkling with cinnamon, until you have used up all of the bread. Finish with a layer of bread, then set aside.

4. Gently warm the milk and cream in a pan over a low heat to scalding point. Don't let it boil.

5. Crack the eggs into a bowl, add 2 1/2 tablespoons of the sugar and whisk until mixture is light in color.

6. Whisk in the vanilla.

7. Add the warm milk and cream mixture to the egg base and stir well making a custard, then strain the custard into a bowl.

8. Pour the custard over the prepared bread layers and sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar and let stand for 30 minutes.

9. During this time preheat the oven to 350

10. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown much like creme brulee.
To get fancy you can dust it with powdered sugar and grate fresh nutmeg on top. And you can of course serve this with fresh whipped cream on top - or even serve with vanilla ice cream.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Thanks so much for posting. She was a fine lady and may she rest in peace.
I've always been a 'Royal watcher' since the day my grandmother stuck me in front of the TV to watch her wedding. It was magical, especially to a very little girl. Of course now I admire Diana for her charity work. Always taking up causes that were not glamorous or popular, but made an impact.

Another bit of food trivia about her - apparently she didn't eat red meat!

As today is the 20th anniversary of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales,
Wow ! I can't believe it's been twenty years.

I've always been a 'Royal watcher' since the day my grandmother stuck me in front of the TV to watch her wedding.
I was in High School.
All of the guys had a crush on Diana. I remember getting up very early to watch the wedding.

Other than her title as future Queen and Charles' checking account, we couldn't understand why she would marry someone as boring as the Prince of Wales. :laugh:

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
I was in High School.
All of the guys had a crush on Diana. I remember getting up very early to watch the wedding.

Other than her title as future Queen and Charles' checking account, we couldn't understand why she would marry someone as boring as the Prince of Wales. :laugh:
LOL! :tongue: Yeah, even at my very young age I was sort like that's what a prince looks like?! He was no Prince Charming from Cinderella, that's for sure! Having watched a host of special about her life that have been on given the big anniversary of her death, sadly I think she did initially love Charles. I always found him to be a stick in the mud kind of person, but perhaps that's the fault of a very stuffy upbringing. Thank goodness Diana tried to normalize her boys as much as possible!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)