1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Authentic Prince of Wales Cake

Discussion in 'Foods of the Civil War' started by donna, Jul 12, 2012.

1. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Prince of Wales Cake recipe was adapted from a hand written cookbook compiled by a ladies society Of Frankfort, Ky, about 1850. Only the ingredients were listed with no instructions. Where it calls for coffee cups. use regular measuring cups. Two batters are combined to make one large cake.

Ingredients:

7 egg white, room temperature
    2 coffee cups sugar
    3 coffee cups plain flour
    1 coffee cup sour cream
    1 coffee cup butter
    1/3 teaspoon soda

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Sift flour with soda. Add to butter, alternating with the sour cream. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form and fold into batter. Set aside.

2nd batter:

7 egg yolks
    1 coffee cup butter
    2 coffee cups sugar
    1 coffee cup molasses
    1 coffee cup sour cream
    4 coffee cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon soda
    2 tablespoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar. Add molasses. Beat in egg yolks. Sift flour with spices and soda. Add to butter mixture, alternating with sour cream. Mix well.

In a large greased and floured tube pan, alternate adding large spoonfuls of batter until all is used. With a knife, swirl one batter into the other. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes and remve from pan. Dust with powdered sugar.

Recipe from: "A Tea For All Seasons", by Shelley and Bruce Richardson, Chapter "An 1850s Summer Tea", page 76.

This recipe was used by the Richardson's at their Elmwood Inn in Perryville, Ky. They operated a Tea Room at Elmwood from 1990 t0 2004. In their book, "A Tea For All Seasons", they state "All the foods presented ( in this Chapter, "An 1850s Summer Tea") were available at the time. Flour, tea, sugar, salt, ginger, were for sale in the Burton General store which was just down the street from Elmwood. Actually, John Burton, owner of Burton General Store built Elmwood in 1842 as his residence.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bonny Blue Flag

Bonny Blue Flag 1st Lieutenant

Wow. Alot of work and alot of ingedients went into this old recipe.

It says alot about what we have today....pre-measured, pre-mixed, "just add milk" or "just add eggs".

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful piece of the past!

Speaking of a piece, my plate and fork are at the ready!

--BBF

4. donna

As I noted at the beginning, this is old recipe from ladies in Frankfort, Ky. However, the Richardsons have adapted or interpreted it . As Mike wrote in his first post in "Welcome to the Foods of the Civil War Forum", "Authentic - right from 1800's era cookbooks, these entries can include a modern interpretation as well!"
    The recipe is from recipes compiled by ladies society of 1850 and it been interpreted to cooking for today. I guess a little liberal interpretation but I think would be acceptable so one can actually make the cake. I hope all think this is acceptable.

Thanks.

5. FourLeafClover

FourLeafClover First Sergeant

Gott in himmel, I buy my eggs by the half dozen. I will have to buy 2 boxes and have a boiled egg every morning till Wednesday.
    Seiously though donna, good that they utilised the yolks for stage 2. Otherwise I'd get another earful for leaving cupfuls of yellow gloop in the fridge!

pamc153PA likes this.
  6. LT.J.H.McDaniel

LT.J.H.McDaniel Sergeant Major

7. donna

I also want to mention that the Elmwood Inn served as a field hospital during the 1862 Battle of Perryville, Kentucky. The place is actually up for sale at the present time.

8. donna

As I had posted in previous post, the Elmwood Inn is for sale. See photos at http://www.elmwoodinn.com/about/sale.html

According to real estate post it been reduced to $499,000. It was built in 1842 and has 5000 square feet. it sits in historic Perryville, Ky. where largest battle of Civil War in Kentucky was fought. The Place had been used as hospital during the battle.

Sounds great, if we were younger. Could be a great Bed and Breakfast and Tea Room again or a beautiful private residence.

One can always dream.

nitrofd and Anna Elizabeth Henry like this.
  9. donna

Thought I bump this thread on Prince of Wales Cake, since a Prince of Wales recipe mentioned in Jelly Roll thread.

This is a delicious cake.

10. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry 2nd Lieutenant Silver Patron

I Googled Prince of Wales cake to get an idea of what it would look like completed. Google in its genius gives me pictures of the Prince Charles with various cakes - either cutting them or looking at them :x3: Blasted Google searches.

nitrofd and donna like this.
  11. donna

I ask who wants to see Prince Charles with cakes? I will try to find one.

Anna Elizabeth Henry likes this.
  12. Anna Elizabeth Henry

nitrofd and donna like this.
  13. donna

I just found that one. It is variety of the cake. Looks delicious. Like the sea foam icing.

nitrofd and Anna Elizabeth Henry like this.
  14. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Yes, the sea foam icing is different and sounds good to boot. I think it would pair nice with a devils food cake given the chocolate and coffee flavor pairing.

donna likes this.
  15. nitrofd

nitrofd Lt. Colonel Forum Host

I really like the use of sour cream in both batters as this will make a richer cake.a modern sour cream loaf is like the first recipe.

donna and Anna Elizabeth Henry like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)