Primary Research Paper Topics HELP

C

CivilWar1

I'm writing a 15 page primary source research paper. I need five primary sources and only two can come from the internet. I have been researching a bit locally. I am having trouble finding an argument that can be proven with primary documents. My original intention was to look at how effective guns were in the Civil War. To narrow this I planned to look at one specific regiment that I could find local information on. After looking I found that this topic is not going to work with the amount of time I have to complete this project. Does anyone have any suggestions on topics/arguments? Any help would be appreciated

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

Championhilz

First Sergeant
I'm writing a 15 page primary source research paper. I need five primary sources and only two can come from the internet. I have been researching a bit locally. I am having trouble finding an argument that can be proven with primary documents. My original intention was to look at how effective guns were in the Civil War. To narrow this I planned to look at one specific regiment that I could find local information on. After looking I found that this topic is not going to work with the amount of time I have to complete this project. Does anyone have any suggestions on topics/arguments? Any help would be appreciated
If you are wanting help on a Civil War topic related to your local area, we need to know where you are located.

This might be off the beaten path: see here, here, and here. The sources are all on the Internet, but are also in books and public records. Although, this is totally different from where you were going.

I am not sure what your grade level is. If you are a HS senior, see if you can get to a college library in the area. This might involve some communicating with the college, because they might not be open to HS students. One visit can give you a chance to see different books that can provide ideas, and also, that have footnotes which can direct you to sources.

- Alan

A thought on effectiveness of a weapon you might want to explore "Wilder's Lightning Brigade" as the majority of them were equipped with Spencer Carbines and compare them to other units that they fought that were equipped with muzzleloaders.

Why won't you have time? Is there too much material? Too little? Depending on the circumstances you could still salvage the work you have done with a little creativity.

But if not, ForeverFree's information looks good. You can also look at these two digital archives I know of:
civilwardc.gov
lincolnarchives.us

They're both internet archives, but since the material is drawn from sources like the National Archives, you could make an argument that they're not strictly "internet sources."

Here is a diary of a PA cavalryman: http://www.lincolnarchives.us/cgi-b...1-00-0-0-11-1--0utfZz-8-00&a=d&d=Ddiaries&sf=

Maybe you can start there? Good luck

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)