President Trump signs bill that makes 2 SC historic sites national parks

National Park, National Monument, National Historic Site. Must be something to do with the funding.

Usually, a National Monument is designated by the President via Executive Order under the Antiquities Act. Some are later changed to National Parks via Congressional act. Sometimes Congress creates a National Park to begin with.

Most National Monuments are administered by NPS, but as I recall some are Bureau of Land Management because they already owned the land prior to the Executive Order.

I'm not sure how a National Historic Site comes about.

I've been to Fort Sumter but not Fort Moultrie. I also am glad to see President Trump sign these parks into NPS sites. These parks help the local economy and have many educational programs throughout the year. Appomattox Court House National Historical Park is a few miles from where I live. They are having the 154th year celebration of the end of the CW April 8-12 with free admission. My family and I plan on attending.

Last edited:
Usually, a National Monument is designated by the President via Executive Order under the Antiquities Act. Some are later changed to National Parks via Congressional act. Sometimes Congress creates a National Park to begin with.

Most National Monuments are administered by NPS, but as I recall some are Bureau of Land Management because they already owned the land prior to the Executive Order.

I'm not sure how a National Historic Site comes about.

Yep, most are NPS but BLM, USFS, and F&W all administer some. I does depend on which agency managed the land originally (NPS getting the areas previously not federally owned). I'm retired BLM btw.

AnnaLee - I'm surprised you haven't been to Moultrie. Moultrie was important in both the American Revolution and the ACW. Seminole Chief Osceola is interred there. Today Moultrie interprets coastal defense.

AnnaLee - I'm surprised you haven't been to Moultrie. Moultrie was important in both the American Revolution and the ACW. Seminole Chief Osceola is interred there. Today Moultrie interprets coastal defense.

Yeah, well Fort Moultrie is one of many ACW sites that I haven't visited for one reason or another. I have visited many other CW sites, though.

Another likely reason for this action was to consolidate what had at some time been TWO separate entities into one single park. When I visited back in 1989 I believe both were still separate with Sumter being a Historic Site and Moultrie a National Monument. (I could easily be wrong about the specific designations but you get the idea.) I notice on the sign in the OP that it says Moultrie is now a unit of Fort Sumter National Monument.

This legislation - whose full title is the John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management and Recreation Act - has many additional elements important to those citizens with a particular interest in the Civil War.

- It adjusts the borders of Shiloh National Military Park and adds Parker's Crossroads Battlefield as an "affiliated area"
- It adjusts the borders of Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield
- It establishes the Mill Springs Battlefield in Kentucky as a National Monument
- It establishes Camp Nelson in Kentucky as a National Monument

This legislation - whose full title is the John D. Dingell, Jr. Conservation, Management and Recreation Act - has many additional elements important to those citizens with a particular interest in the Civil War.

- It adjusts the borders of Shiloh National Military Park and adds Parker's Crossroads Battlefield as an "affiliated area"
- It adjusts the borders of Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield
- It establishes the Mill Springs Battlefield in Kentucky as a National Monument
- It establishes Camp Nelson in Kentucky as a National Monument
What were they before, if anything?
I have visited all of these except Camp Nelson within the past two years: Shiloh of course was one of the very first, way back in the 1890's, but the specific boundaries have been designated by acts of Congress and in order to add new lands to them legislation like this is necessary to adjust those borders to allow for expansion; ditto Kennesaw, though it's a much more recent park, dating from the 1940's as I remember; Parker's Crossroads is a Tennessee State Historic Site and will benefit in additional funding by association with the NPS; Mill Springs and Camp Nelson are or were Kentucky State Historic sites with additional nearby holdings that have been purchased by the National (formerly Civil War) Battlefield Trust - apparently this converts them from State to National sites.

Back