CWTrust Preservation leaders, Civil War Trust to open interpretive trail at Brandy Station battlefield

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
Preservation leaders, Civil War Trust to open interpretive trail at Brandy Station battlefield

NEW INTERPRETIVE TRAIL READY TO BE DEDICATED AT BRANDY STATION SITE

Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

562461cf5ab0d.image.jpg

CIVIL WAR TRUST

Matt George, the Civil War Trust’s land stewardship manager, carries a sign that was installed at Fleetwood Hill.

Buy this photo

Posted: Monday, October 19, 2015 12:00 am

BY CLINT SCHEMMER/THE FREE LANCE-STAR | 0 comments

Consider it a soft opening for things that may be yet to come.

On Monday, Oct. 26, Virginia conservationists and Civil War Trust President James Lighthizer will gather in Culpeper County to dedicate an interpretive trail on the Brandy Station battlefiel

More: http://www.fredericksburg.com/news/...cle_6e7bcca2-4c1e-5fbf-a743-24c4035bbbef.html

It's taking place as I write this. I had hoped to be there, but my work schedule and my upcoming mini-vacation this weekend prevented it. I will see the new markers and trails next Friday. It's been a LONG time coming. But for the tireless efforts of Bud Hall, this would not have been possible. Mix in the good work by the Civil War Trust, and the generosity of a couple of very large individual donors, including Bill Hupp of Chicago, whose ancestor fought at Brandy Station with the 8th Illinois Cavalry, and the preservation of the most fought-over piece of ground in the United States was made possible. This episode clearly shows what we collectively can do when we set our minds to doing the right thing.

Hopefully, the next step will be the creation of the Culpeper County State Battlefield Park. And there are other potential land acquisitions in the works. Stand by....

Back