Pres. Johnson Appointee Gov. Perry Reports on State of South Carolina Jan. 1868 Reconstruction150

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Benjamin Franklin Perry was appointed governor of South Carolina by Pres. Andrew Johnson in 1865. He had opposed secession, but served in the Confederate government after the state declared it was leaving the Union.

On Feb. 6, 1868 Gov. Perry's letter on the state of the state was published in the New York Times:

SCperry1.JPG

scperry2.JPG

scperry4.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

WJC

Brigadier General
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Benjamin Franklin Perry was appointed governor of South Carolina by Pres. Andrew Johnson in 1865. He had opposed secession, but served in the Confederate government after the state declared it was leaving the Union.

On Feb. 6, 1868 Gov. Perry's letter on the state of the state was published in the New York Times:

View attachment 174806
View attachment 174807
View attachment 174808
So every evil that has been done to Black Americans since 1865 was because of those darned radical Republicans! they turned the "industrious, useful and civil laborers" into "idle drones and pests". If only the White southerners had been allowed to impose the 'new slavery' of segregation and Jim Crow in 1865- what a wonderful world it would be....

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
So every evil that has been done to Black Americans since 1865 was because of those darned radical Republicans! they turned the "industrious, useful and civil laborers" into "idle drones and pests". If only the White southerners had been allowed to impose the 'new slavery' of segregation and Jim Crow in 1865- what a wonderful world it would be....
That about sums it up.

He neglects to mention that the Black Codes and white terrorism predated Radical Reconstruction.

O' Be Joyful

Sergeant Major
Use-ta be: Zinn-zä-nätti o-HI-o The BIG city.
Dang it, Pat! You have so many interesting threads running about, that my alerts are going to be going off like crazy. :smile: I'm just hoping I can keep 'em straight and not "accidentally" post something diverting in the wrong thread. But, the more excellent info from you the better, I say. I will try to watch my step. :wink:

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Featured Book Reviewer
Dang it, Pat! You have so many interesting threads running about, that my alerts are going to be going off like crazy. :smile: I'm just hoping I can keep 'em straight and not "accidentally" post something diverting in the wrong thread. But, the more excellent info from you the better, I say. I will try to watch my step. :wink:
Thanks a lot. Much of this is new to me as well. I only started systematically studying Reconstruction in 2013.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)