Preacher cookies also known as non-bake cookies

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Preacher cookies got their name many years ago. They were called that as they could be made very quickly. An housewife in the mountains would look out and see the preacher riding on his horse up the mountains. By time he got to the house the cookies were done and could be served to him with some coffee as he visited.

My Granny would make these cookies. They are simple and delicious.

Recipe for Preacher Cookies.

Take 2 cups of sugar, 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup milk. Mix and boil for 1 and 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat and add 2 1/2 cups oatmeal, 1/2 cup peanut butter. 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Beat, blend and drop by the spoonful on wax paper/ There is no need to bake as they harden by themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Preacher cookies got their name many years ago. They were called that as they could be made very quickly. An housewife in the mountains would look out and see the preacher riding on his horse up the mountains. By time he got to the house the cookies were done and could be served to him with some coffee as he visited.

Take 2 cups of sugar, 1 stick of butter and 1/2 cup milk. Mix and boil for 1 and 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat and add 2 1/2 cups oatmeal, 1/2 cup peanut butter. 1 teaspoon vanilla.

Beat, blend and drop by the spoonful on wax paper/ There is no need to bake as they harden by themselves.

Hahaa, the Quaker guns in the cookie world - made from Quaker oats.
The recipe sounds delicious! Do you know how long it takes until the cookies are hard enough to eat?

Some say 15 to 20 minutes. You can speed up by placing in the refrigerator.

You have to remember when they spotted the preacher he was a distance from house and was coming by horseback up the mountain. Not like he was in a car and getting there fast.

They are worth making.
If you look at one of the recipes the way you have to prepare the butter and the sugar,you are actually making candy,this is why it is a no bake recipe.I wasn't smart enough to figure it out but my wife told as she also makes candy .

View attachment 298153
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10403/preacher-cookies/

My girlfriend makes these. They are absolutely delicious!

My girlfriend makes these. They are absolutely delicious!

housewife in the mountains would look out and see the preacher riding on his horse up the mountains. By time he got to the house the cookies were done and could be served to him with some coffee as he visited.

Love it !

Great recipe Donna.

And how so true !

As late as the 1930's, if the 'preacher man' was spotted on the way to a rural homestead . . . the Ladies went into panic mode to fix something before he got there.

Those reverends sure knew how to eat very well . . . and at no expense to them !

:laugh:

Last edited:
My wife used to make these all the time. She calls them No Bake cookies and I've been known to raid the refrigerator during the middle of the night to eat my share of them before everyone else got hold of them. They are delicious!

When we were littte childten (many years ago) my Mother would whip up a batch of these. She called them Dog T__ ds. We still call um that at family- get-togethers otherwise no one would know what you were talking about. Yum!

My Grandma made these no-bake cookies for us often. They were quick and easy to make and I remembered the recipe. Our's is a little different and somewhat imprecise from recipes I've read in cookbooks.

1 sick of margarine and about 5 oz. of marshmallow fluff melted & stirred together over low heat
add several table spoons of chocolate powder, one cup of sugar and 1/4 cup milk and continue stirring
taste to ensure it is sweet enough
add a teaspoon or a little less of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and continue stirring
add 6 to 8 ounces of smooth peanut butter and continue stirring
taste to ensure the proper balance between chocolate and peanut butter and continue stirring
stir mixture until you see boil bubbles rising around the outside surface of the mix, then turn off heat
DO NOT ALLOW THE BATTER TO BOIL! (This causes the cookies to crystalize and become dry and brittle.)
add adequate quick oatmeal and rolled whole oatmeal at a 3 to 1 ratio until you can hardly stir the mixture
daub cookies on wax paper and allow to dry and cool a few minutes before eating
the cook gets to clean out the pan

Back