Powder Monkey aboard USS New Hampshire

R

Ron Field

In response to the page on the Powder Monkey aboard USS New Hampshire stereoview image, I thought the author might like to know that I have recently acquired a color magic lantern slide clearly taken from the illusive LOC right hand panel. I can provide a scan if he is interested in seeing it. It is post-Civil War & produced by W.H. Drew, 1 Somerset, Boston, Mass. & is still in most of its original wooden frame. I gather the boy in the image was Boy 1st Class Aspinwall Fuller. I have established that Fuller enlisted at New York City, not Boston, on March 30, 1864. I am keen to know how the link between the image and the name was established. Can anyone help?

Sorry can't help with the link - all the biographical data for the classic image of the boy in front of the gun quite simply says "Powder monkey by gun of U.S.S. New Hampshire off Charleston, S.C." No idea who attributed the boy as being Aspinwall Fuller. There is an ancestry tree for Fuller with that image as well as one taken shortly before his death in Boston in 1888 (buried NY). Make your own mind up whether the gentleman and the boy are one and the same?

aspinwall-fuller.jpg

Attachments

• aspinwall-fuller.jpg
    aspinwall-fuller.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 342
In response to the page on the Powder Monkey aboard USS New Hampshire stereoview image, I thought the author might like to know that I have recently acquired a color magic lantern slide clearly taken from the illusive LOC right hand panel. I can provide a scan if he is interested in seeing it. It is post-Civil War & produced by W.H. Drew, 1 Somerset, Boston, Mass. & is still in most of its original wooden frame. I gather the boy in the image was Boy 1st Class Aspinwall Fuller. I have established that Fuller enlisted at New York City, not Boston, on March 30, 1864. I am keen to know how the link between the image and the name was established. Can anyone help?

Just seeing this now. Not sure if you are referring to my post here: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/powder-monkey-in-3d-and-2d.77747/

This is the connection with Aspinwall Fuller to the best of my knowledge: He is the mascot for the Civil War Naval Museum in Columbus Georgia. When I went there in 2011 they told me they had identified him as Fuller and list him in their teachers guide on page 21 http://portcolumbus.org/tours/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Civil-War-Naval-History-Activity-Book.pdf

Sorry can't help with the link - all the biographical data for the classic image of the boy in front of the gun quite simply says "Powder monkey by gun of U.S.S. New Hampshire off Charleston, S.C." No idea who attributed the boy as being Aspinwall Fuller. There is an ancestry tree for Fuller with that image as well as one taken shortly before his death in Boston in 1888 (buried NY). Make your own mind up whether the gentleman and the boy are one and the same?

View attachment 9143
Where did you obtain this photo? Aspinwall is my 4th great Uncle. What a story he has eh? Also spent some time in 1977 at Sing Sing for accidentally killing a man in a fist fight. His brother fought in some famous Civil War Battles as well, William Lee Fuller Jr. His father William Fuller had some dealings with Lincoln and his other brother Harold with Roosevelt.

Where did you obtain this photo? Aspinwall is my 4th great Uncle. What a story he has eh? Also spent some time in 1977 at Sing Sing for accidentally killing a man in a fist fight. His brother fought in some famous Civil War Battles as well, William Lee Fuller Jr. His father William Fuller had some dealings with Lincoln and his other brother Harold with Roosevelt.
This may not be a relation but I will allow your own acknowledgement for that decision. This was a eating establishment in Phoebus, Virginia, about a stone's throw to the waterfront where the bridge to Fort Monroe is;
Fuller's — Phoebus Memories
Welcome from the Railroads and Steam Locomotives Forum.
Lubliner.

Back