Powder Flask - 1849 Pocket Colt

ConfederateCanuck

First Sergeant
Hi all.

Can anyone tell me if this is an original powder flask? How does one tell the difference between an original and a reproduction? I still have so much to learn...

Your help is required and greatly appreciated.
20190525_153820.jpg
20190525_154006.jpg
20190525_153754.jpg
20190525_153901.jpg
20190525_153949.jpg

I can't tell from way over here, but it has plenty of patina and the steel in the spring looks pretty old.

In way to good a shape for my liking. Is there a makers mark on the spout?

Very nice set!

So that particular British company stamped their powder flasks. But was that a common practice with any of the flasks from the US, or more specifically those made (or contracted by) Colt?

I have a replica flask ...but its obviously a reproduction cuz its stamped "Made in USA" on it in a modern font.
20190526_222551.jpg

Another replica has the P within a circle on the top of the latch, which I have read means its a repro. Also, i can see some solder along the seams.
20190526_222610.jpg
20190526_222630.jpg

The 1849 Pocket Colt flask I posted about has none of these telltale repro indicators. But can anyone authenticate it with greater certainty?

Reactions: WJC
drm2m you akeays have tge nicest stuff!! I have original Colt molds in .31, .36 and .44. Very cool little gadgets. We actually cast bullets with them.

The flask being discussed is most assuredly a modern made flask. One of the main indicators is the charging spring. Note that it is a die cut spring, as evidenced by the exposed edge on the upper side of the spring. The antique springs were hand forged.
J.

By saying "modern made" we mean the last seventy years. Interest in the Civil War took off in the 1960s with reenactors and reproduction equipment. Your flask is probably from that period. It can be hard to tell the difference between a fifty year old piece and a one hundred and fifty piece.

Last edited:
ok, thanks for the info on the spring. i wish i knew how to identify originals. The flask i posted about came with a bunch of stuff thrown in on an 1849 Pocket purchase. The vendor told me the flask was a repro but others have said its original....so i posted on the Forum to try and get a definitive answer.

Back