Are there any sources for Western Postwar sales of Civil War surplus?

S

SeaTurtle

Hi folks,
Was there much military surplus from the Civil War (arms, clothing, kit, etc) that found its way onto commercial markets in the far-western states/territories during the post-war years? By "far-western" in this context I'm thinking of anything to the west of the Great Plains ... places like Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California, etc. On a guess I'd think at least surplus firearms might have met a decent market out there, given the ongoing troubles with Indians, outlaws, and such.

I've seen catalogues from surplus stores in the eastern states (e.g. Bannerman's) during the post-war period, so maybe something like that has survived from out west that could give us a bit of info on what surplus, if any, found its way onto those markets?

This is a bit belated, but I've read some reports of western depots given permission to sell un-needed items, including arms. Lots of wholesalers bought quantities of items, and then offered them everywhere.In my state of Ohio, Kitteridge of Cincinnati, Ohio distributed out west - lots of buffalo rifles were ordered from the Sharps company by Kitteridge and shipped to the buffalo plains out west.

Vote Here:
Back