Postwar: Former Union Officer Attacks Confederate Gen. Joe Wheeler August 1865

TerryB

Major
I just saw a couple of newspaper articles saying that a staff officer of Wheeler's challenged Blackburn to a duel, but the assailant declined. The officer was named Baker (no relation I'm guessing). Then oddly, Blackburn and Major Hawkins of Wheeler's staff were then ordered to get outta town by the occupying federal authorities. Hope to find some more details. All this in the wake of Blackburn's attack on Wheeler in his hotel room during the trial of Champ Ferguson. I can't find a Baker on Wheeler's staff after looking at Dodson's book online.

TerryB

Major
I just saw a couple of newspaper articles saying that a staff officer of Wheeler's challenged Blackburn to a duel, but the assailant declined. The officer was named Baker (no relation I'm guessing). Then oddly, Blackburn and Major Hawkins of Wheeler's staff were then ordered to get outta town by the occupying federal authorities. Hope to find some more details. All this in the wake of Blackburn's attack on Wheeler in his hotel room during the trial of Champ Ferguson. I can't find a Baker on Wheeler's staff after looking at Dodson's book online.
I seem to recall that Baker was the guy who held Wheeler down while Blackburn slugged away. Either I read the paper wrong or the paper got it wrong. Hawkins, on the other hand was definitely on Wheeler's staff. Though how he was involved in the incident isn't clear to me.

TnFed

First Sergeant
Pat, this incident with Wheeler is covered on pages 31,31 and 33 of Tennessee's Rafical Army by Ben Severance.