Post Your Replica Flag Here

JeffCSA

Private
Didn't know where to post this so the moderator is free to move it to where they deem appropriate. On another site (Civil War Message Portal Board) I was told the Museum of The Confederacy had, within their holdings, a flag from the regiment that my great uncle, Joseph Hammons, was a member of. This flag was from the 1st Battle of Murfreesboro, Tennessee in 1862.

Joseph was a Tennessean that joined the 1st Georgia Cavalry while they were camped at Clinton, Tennessee. The museum provided pictures and measurements of every aspect from the flag.....overall size, canton size, star size with spacings, etc. I had Southern Pride Flags in Georgia make this flag from that information. He even angled the stars as much like the original as possible.

I am absolutely stunned by the quality of this flag. Everything is sewn together from scratch and the price was much, much less than I expected. I highly recommend his work. I'm sure he can make some great flags for you Union fellows, too. It took a little over 3 months for him to get the flag to me. Pics attached.

Anyone that has had a flag made please post them here and share everything about it with us. This would be really helpful to reenactors and anyone studying particular units.

20190720_105755.jpg

20190720_105755.jpg

20190720_105602.jpg

20190720_110745.jpg

Anyone got a picture of the 19th Virginia Infantry's battle flag?
1563739496654.png

From https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/media_player?mets_filename=evm00002760mets.xml
"Bullet holes as well as moth damage are visible in this wool and cotton flag of the 19th Virginia Infantry. The flag was captured by Private Benjamin Falls of the 19th Massachusetts Infantry during Pickett's Charge, on the third day of the Battle of Gettysburg. John Coski, historian and director of library and research at the Museum of the Confederacy, has written that "Falls reached for what he believed to be the abandoned battle flag of the 19th Virginia Infantry at the stone wall, only to discover that it was still in the grasp of a wounded Confederate soldier. Falls pointed his bayonet at the soldier, forcing him to surrender the flag." Falls was later awarded the Medal of Honor for his action. The large rectangular piece missing from the left side of the flag once contained the unit designation; it was doubtless removed as a souvenir by Falls or by someone at the U.S. War Department where the flag was deposited."

UnionBlue, The Museum of the Confederacy, now called The American Civil War Museum, has over 400 flags in their possession. It is very challenging, to me, to find the list of all of those flags from their website. I had to call them and get them to walk me through as to how to do it. They are very helpful and will give you good service if you give them a call. There is a chance they might have something for you.

UnionBlue, The Museum of the Confederacy, now called The American Civil War Museum, has over 400 flags in their possession. It is very challenging, to me, to find the list of all of those flags from their website. I had to call them and get them to walk me through as to how to do it. They are very helpful and will give you good service if you give them a call. There is a chance they might have something for you.

I was there in late May/early June and it is amazing the conservation job and care they are taking of the flags! It's also amazing that there are a number of flags that just can't be identified. I wouldn't have thought be there you are. I'm guessing there were units or small groups that made up their own flags and the names are lost to history.

View attachment 317303
From https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/media_player?mets_filename=evm00002760mets.xml
"Bullet holes as well as moth damage are visible in this wool and cotton flag of the 19th Virginia Infantry. The flag was captured by Private Benjamin Falls of the 19th Massachusetts Infantry during Pickett's Charge, on the third day of the Battle of Gettysburg. John Coski, historian and director of library and research at the Museum of the Confederacy, has written that "Falls reached for what he believed to be the abandoned battle flag of the 19th Virginia Infantry at the stone wall, only to discover that it was still in the grasp of a wounded Confederate soldier. Falls pointed his bayonet at the soldier, forcing him to surrender the flag." Falls was later awarded the Medal of Honor for his action. The large rectangular piece missing from the left side of the flag once contained the unit designation; it was doubtless removed as a souvenir by Falls or by someone at the U.S. War Department where the flag was deposited."

@lelliott19 ,

Thank you so much for doing this for me.

VERY much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

@JeffCSA ,

Thank you fore the above information.

Definately a keeper.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Back