NF Golden Thread Post Your Civil War Shelfies: Show Us Your Books!

Non-Fiction
Mark,

Do you have the entire run of the HE Howard Virginia Regimentals?

I have all the cavalry volumes, all of the horse artillery volumes and a smattering of the others, but I definitely do NOT have the entire set.

Eric

Not yet Eric, like you I have all the cavalry. I have completed probably 50% of the Howard series. Many aren't worth the $65 or more pricetag to me that they are commanding now.

Here is my bookcase of the CSN, etc
IMG0008A.jpg
IMG0009A.jpg

No, no Mothra. Godzilla was a biggy for me growing up. Loved watching those old Japanese monster movies.

And a revision on my count....probably well over a 100 if you combine my school collection. Probably over 300 if you include all types of book. I try to buy or pick up books I think my students will read so I have a ton of YA books at school and some of my own CW books. And like someone mentioned, I have dozens of books on different media...Nook and Audible.

I'm glad my book fetish is shared by others on this site. :thumbsup:

No, no Mothra. Godzilla was a biggy for me growing up. Loved watching those old Japanese monster movies.

And a revision on my count....probably well over a 100 if you combine my school collection. Probably over 300 if you include all types of book. I try to buy or pick up books I think my students will read so I have a ton of YA books at school and some of my own CW books. And like someone mentioned, I have dozens of books on different media...Nook and Audible.

I'm glad my book fetish is shared by others on this site. :thumbsup:
That is why I knew we would get a good response.

Can't find the camera to computer connection, so there is no picture. I have only about 650 civil war titles.

Dadgum! You've spent more on books than I do a car! LOL

All but about 15 of mine are back at various libraries...LOL.

Are used books, just regular ones, going to get more expensive as less are around? Or is the demand sinking faster than the supply?

I can't really get a good photo as my books are on three different shelves plus I've got a small file cabinet of stuff I've copied out of books or printed off the internet (in more recent times) and that just looks like ... well ... a file cabinet. My DVDs are in a different place with all the other DVDs.

I started a thread when I first got here asking about how many books folks owned and was shocked - shocked ! - to discover how paltry my library is. Maybe we could do a survey thread where you get to vote as to number of volumes; might be interesting.

I've got perhaps eighty volumes (not counting my printouts) and a small collection of DVDs including three courses by Gallagher. I'm sort of a 'best of' person though and don't always keep every book I read. I've also got a space problem as I have a small house. I'm OK with one good volume on most subjects, don't care much for biography, and lean strongly toward social history so a few books summarizing battles and campaigns is adequate for me (plus I've got a CW encyclopedia that has good battle, campaign, and biographical summaries).

See I LOVE good biographies but am the same with battles. I mostly read about battles to see how it affected the people. Technical war nerd I am not. But do get a little curious about local or just some small random battle from time to time.

Like I said before all but about 15 of mine are back in local libraries! LOL

Are used books, just regular ones, going to get more expensive as less are around? Or is the demand sinking faster than the supply?
My observation, when I was still buying books, is that much depends on the print runs at the time the books were popular. I have first editions of Bruce Catton's trilogies. Problem is, everyone else has them too. They're cheap.

There's a book out there on the battles leading to Nelson's defeat at Richmond, KY. When it was printed, there was little interest. Now that there is interest, it is difficult to find, let alone purchase.

When I was buying books, I bought almost exclusively from abebooks.com. If you can't find a book there, chances are it will be very expensive if you do find it elsewhere. Even "reading copies" are scarce. (Reading Copy is a grade which means only that there are no missing pages.)

Supply and demand. When the demand exceeds supply, publishers like Konecky will pick up the copyright and issue another edition. Apparently, the Richmond book has not attracted enough demand to republish; therefore, it is rare and those who would like to have it must think about the arm and a leg thingy.

My observation, when I was still buying books, is that much depends on the print runs at the time the books were popular. I have first editions of Bruce Catton's trilogies. Problem is, everyone else has them too. They're cheap.

There's a book out there on the battles leading to Nelson's defeat at Richmond, KY. When it was printed, there was little interest. Now that there is interest, it is difficult to find, let alone purchase.

When I was buying books, I bought almost exclusively from abebooks.com. If you can't find a book there, chances are it will be very expensive if you do find it elsewhere. Even "reading copies" are scarce. (Reading Copy is a grade which means only that there are no missing pages.)

Supply and demand. When the demand exceeds supply, publishers like Konecky will pick up the copyright and issue another edition. Apparently, the Richmond book has not attracted enough demand to republish; therefore, it is rare and those who would like to have it must think about the arm and a leg thingy.

Have you authored any ACW or other titles? That might be in a library somewhere?

I've bought a few books that I thought would be inflate in value over time. Then I find out it was re-printed. In this day the book could be released as inexpensive e-books. As a result, the demand drops as the average reader just want to read it and not hold it. How has the value of the OR's changed now that they are on CDs??

How has the value of the OR's changed now that they are on CDs??

Broadfoot is still selling the hardbound reprints for about what they were 15 years ago. (On the other hand, they said something in their last flier which suggests to me that the hardcopies might not be restocked once they sell out, whenever that will be.) I bought my ORN set for $750, and they're still going for about that last time I looked.

E-books and cheap reprints have taken a good deal of the upward pressure off the market as far as working or reading copies of old books go, and has probably caused the increase in value of collectible books to stall a bit, though I don't track the market close enough to say for sure; that's just my impression.

Everything that you see in this photo is a Civil War book. This photo is a couple of years old now, and it does NOT include all of my Civil War books. The rest of my history books also don't appear in this photograph.View attachment 57661
Nice but I like the cluttered look.

I posted this on another thread about Ely S. Parker. I have a few Civil War books, but the bulk of my library is Native American reference material which crosses over into CW territory now and then.

AAAAmerican Indain.jpg
AAAAmerican Indan 2.jpg

Back