NF Golden Thread Post Your Civil War Shelfies: Show Us Your Books!

Non-Fiction
My ceiling is at 6 foot 4 inches. I have just two inches clearance from the crown of my head to the ceiling.

Since I do like to stand up from time to time, I couldn't live there at all...

Thanks! I made them myself. Fresh out of high school (many years ago), I worked in a custom furniture shop. I remember one or two things, but I am slow.

Those shelves, sir, look fantastic, so I would say "slow and steady"...

1598926452506581479562.jpg

I currently have 44 physical books and roughly eight digital ones. I currently have it split into the following categories:

Pre-War, General History and Specialities.
Unit/Army/Leadership Studies.
Navy.
1861-1863
1864-1865
Biographies/Personal Writings.

View attachment 372229

I currently have 44 physical books and roughly eight digital ones. I currently have it split into the following categories:

Pre-War, General History and Specialities.
Unit/Army/Leadership Studies.
Navy.
1861-1863
1864-1865
Biographies/Personal Writings.

I see my Trevilian Station book in there!

Now that I moved cities, I took the chance and rearranged my bookshelf. From this:
So, here's my "shelf":
acw-book-collection-jpg.jpg

My actual bookshelf is already filled to the brim. I need to add to it, don't have the space though. You can see a bit of my shelf in the background.

to now this :D:
IMG_7991.JPG

Don't let the gaps fool you - to make space for the ACW books, other books are still in the moving boxes, waiting to be unpacked and shelved. :laugh: But now I've got some empty wall space for a new bookshelf to be bought.

Now that I moved cities, I took the chance and rearranged my bookshelf. From this:

View attachment 448736

Don't let the gaps fool you - to make space for the ACW books, other books are still in the moving boxes, waiting to be unpacked and shelved. :laugh: But now I've got some empty wall space for a new bookshelf to be bought.
Looking good.

Are you moving, Mark?
I did... and will be moving again within a year; and boxing up all the books took so much effort that I would rather not do it repeatedly. (But I am definitely jonesing for my books...)

At least I have confirmation that when I say I have a "ton" of books, I'm speaking literally... can't recall the exact calculation, but it it came to in excess of 2,000 pounds on the estimate.

I did... and will be moving again within a year; and boxing up all the books took so much effort that I would rather not do it repeatedly. (But I am definitely jonesing for my books...)

At least I have confirmation that when I say I have a "ton" of books, I'm speaking literally... can't recall the exact calculation, but it it came to in excess of 2,000 pounds on the estimate.
Wow

My collection pales in comparisons to the ones here. Probably all told....60+ books? Maybe a bit more. But that is also tempered by the several YA book titles I have bought for school and in my class library.

This is some of mine just after I bought my house. A few more have been added and King Kong and the Godzilla twins have been relocated to a more appropriate spot. :bye:

View attachment 57769
Man, what a difference a few years makes. All these shelves are now filled (all history, just not CW). But now I have two more full bookshelves, including one devoted to my research so a lot of Vicksburg books. But also have two shelves downstairs full. That's doesn't even count all the fiction books I have boxed up for lack of room.

I started a Good Reads list but never did finish it. I should have done that this past summer.

View attachment 448736

Sounds like a plan! Just take your time it will look great when your are finished organizing it...

We have a dreaded little creature down here called a silverfish. They love books and magazines but not in the same way we do. They like to eat them. What sort of product do you guys use to control these bugs without smelling up the house?

They exist in the Midwest, though I'm not sure of the relative frequency in the two areas. They are obviously a threat. Keeping humidity low and some level of air circulation generally controls them AFAIK.
We have them in abundance in the basement and bathroom, but I didn't know they eat paper!!
We here can buy "bait boxes", small tin containers with poison that they are supposed to eat and die from, but to be honest, these are not too effective. I have tolerated the silver fishes up to know because I find them pretty elegant, but now that I know they will eat my books, I will declare war on them!!

:notworthy:
I am very impressed (!) by the collections posted here. Especially so because if this was a contest, I could make everyone feel better: I own a whopping 18 ACW titles :redface:,…
(If present 'house arrest' conditions continue, however, the money I save in gas will be going to Amazon. There are a few dozen titles I miss having access to...)

About the only good thing I have to say of the ‘age of COVID’ is now I actually have to dedicate a small bookcase. Still a comparatively tiny collection, but I sense a habit forming…

60708F4C-80AA-484A-B7EF-3E810A4DF06D.jpeg

Back