NF Post Your Books On Regiments

Non-Fiction
Has anyone on here read these 2 books on a regiment? If so, I would love to hear your comments!
Westerners in Gray: The Men and Missions of the Elite Fifth Missouri Regiment By Phillip Tucker.
The other book is: Captain Joseph Boyce and the 1st Missouri Infantry, CSA by Joseph Boyce and William C. Winter.

Last edited:
A book recommendation I recommend on a regiment written by a single individual soldier is Sam Watkins Company Aytch.

There's more out there but providing 1 at a time.

Wasn't there another thread out there for posting our Regimental Histories?

If you are interested in soldier's journals, I recommend "A Life for the Confederacy". It was written by an NCO Robert Moore of the 17th Mississippi Regiment which served in the ANV. Later he was promoted to an officer and was killed at Chickamauga. It has a lot of detail of their camp life and some good info on moving into position for battles, etc.

Thank you DixieRifles! I have never heard of that book and will check it out and likely put it in my booklist. :smile:

I wasn't aware of another thread on Regimental Histories. So moderators, feel free to connect this thread to that one.

The 19th Virginia Infantry, (The Virginia Regimental Histories Series), Ervin L. Jordan, Jr. and Herbert A. Thomas, Jr.

North Carolina Troops, 1861-1865, A Roster, volumes I - XVIII. Volume XIX is out and in the county library, but I don't have it in my personal library yet.

From the H.E. Howard series, I have the 18th Virginia Infantry, written by James I. (Bud) Robertson who is one of my favorite historians and known for his biography of Stonewall Jackson, among other works he has written.

23rd Virginia Infantry Thomas M. Rankin
30th Virginia Infantry Robert K. Krick
46th Virginia Infantry Darrell L. Collins
47th Virginia Infantry Homer D. Musselman
6th Virginia Cavalry Michael P. Musick
7th Virginia Infantry David F. Riggs
9th Virginia Cavalry- Robert K.Krick
Ashland, Bedford, and Taylor Virginia Light Artillery Marilyn Drewer Koleszar
Miscellaneous Disbanded Virginia Light Artillery- Robert H. Moore,II
The Caroline Light, Parker and Stafford Light Virginia Artillery Homer D. Musselman
The Charlottesville, Lee Lynchburg and Johnson's Bedford Artillery Robert H. Moore, II
These Virginia books were used to help trace some of my Confederate relatives.
plus:
A cd: Illinois Civil War Regimental Histories Book Collection, there are 44 books here,
with 30 being regimental histories. Some of the others represent sections of artillery units, single companies of units, and a couple are more general Illinois CW history.
also:
Twenty-Fifth Independent Ohio Light Artillery
A Regiment of Slaves, The 4th United States Colored Infantry, 1863-1866 Edward G. Longacre
A History of the 4th Wisconsin Infantry and Cavalry in the Civil War-Michael J. Martin Michael J. Martin
A History of the 6th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry U.S. Joseph R. Reinhart
I have others in my library, but these will do for now.

mobile_96, thank you for providing all that, you mentioned several by Robert K. Krick, and all I can say for all is I highly recommend him and his books.

Back