Post war photo?

Jonl51

Corporal
Hi All,
Need help with this picture of a Confederate officer. Is this a post war picture or were bow ties worn as part of
the uniform at times? Also, can anyone tell
what type of uniform or rank this is, or any other information? Sorry only have this one
picture to go on. Thank you kindly. Jonl51
1602895722345.png

Image oriented by moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is indeed a CW period image of a CS junior officer. He is wearing a state officers sword plate. If we could get a close up of the belt plate we may be able at least ID the state seal on the plate. Just from what I see it may be a VA plate.

I believe it is indeed a CW period image of a CS junior officer. He is wearing a state officers sword plate. If we could get a close up of the belt plate we may be able at least ID the state seal on the plate. Just from what I see it may be a VA plate.
I think you are right about the Virginia plate. This picture appears on page 210 of Steve
Mullinax’s book on Confederate buckles. His identity is not known but I am researching it, which is the reason for the questions on his uniform and time period. Could his uniform be one worn by a junior CSA staff officer, perhaps a Captain or Major?

I think you are right about the Virginia plate. This picture appears on page 210 of Steve
Mullinax’s book on Confederate buckles. His identity is not known but I am researching it, which is the reason for the questions on his uniform and time period. Could his uniform be one worn by a junior CSA staff officer, perhaps a Captain or Major?
Lt's and Capt were junior officers. Major and above were staff officer and his uniform screams Lt or Capt and staff officers had 2 rows of buttons, but that always wasn't a norm in the later part of the war.

Lt's and Capt were junior officers. Major and above were staff officer and his uniform screams Lt or Capt and staff officers had 2 rows of buttons, but that always wasn't a norm in the later part of the war.
The officer who I think he might be was a staff officer at CSA headquarters in Richmond. He was a Captain, then a Major
and finished the war as a Lt. Col. Thank you for your help! Regards. Jonl51

Hi All,
Need help with this picture of a Confederate officer. Is this a post war picture or were bow ties worn as part of
the uniform at times?
Also, can anyone tell
what type of uniform or rank this is, or any other information? Sorry only have this one
View attachment 378560
Absolutely - especially by volunteers when having their likenesses taken!

DSC01254.JPG

Hi All,
the uniform at times? Also, can anyone tell
View attachment 378560
Image oriented by moderator.
Weren't (ex) Confederate banned from wearing their uniforms for quite some years after 1865? Much less having their photos made in uniform?
I recall reading an account that they were not even allowed to have CS buttons on their clothes unless they had black cloth covers sewed on them.

My vote is that it is an 1861 - 1865 photo.

Weren't (ex) Confederate banned from wearing their uniforms for quite some years after 1865? Much less having their photos made in uniform?
I recall reading an account that they were not even allowed to have CS buttons on their clothes unless they had black cloth covers sewed on them.

My vote is that it is an 1861 - 1865 photo.
Very interesting bit of information that I wasn’t aware of. Thank you!

Correct. Federal authorities were unhappy with Confederate veterans who out of defiance or necessity continued to wear their military garb and insignia, and so eventually "all badges, military buttons, braid, cord, or other articles designating rank" were banned outright. Confederate veterans caught wearing buttons would have them cut off. It became popular to sew black covers on the buttons to indicate being in a state of mourning for the Confederacy.

Mark Bradley, Bluecoats and Tarheels
James Broomall, Private Confederacies

Back