Post-War Love Feast

cw1865

Sergeant Major
Figured I would put this here since honestly not sure how best to categorize this one. I now reside in South FL and also in Pickett County, TN. At the time of the Civil War Pickett County was part of Fentress County and the area was generally pro-union. After the war, the town of Olympus changes its name to Byrdstown in honor of Col Richard Byrd of the Union Army actually. In any event taking part in the local historical society which for the most part piques interest because of people's descendants but which of course touches on the Civil War from time to time. Of note one poster put up this news clipping from August 14th, 1905.

1636339577787.png

What a great little clip including the comings and goings of people that somehow was newsworthy in a very, very small hamlet. Politicians were trying to curry favor by buying the crowds melons brought to town by Prof Babb and Gran Groce.

Of course the connection to the Civil War is the love feast. The Clearfork Church still exists today as a congregation though the current location doesn't seem to be the location the article was speaking of. Albany, KY is of course across the TN state line. The area being generally pro-union I liked seeing that the camp fire would welcome Confederate vveterans. I do however note that the clipping felt it necessary to state that Confederates would be welcome. In other words a Confederate veteran might know Albany, KY and Byrdstown, TN were generally pro-union and absent that statement would presume it was for Union veterans? Not sure, but still particularly enjoyed that clipping of the veteran's get together in 1905 which meant the attendees would be late 50s/early 60s if not older.

Always enjoy a good, down home love feast!
Pickett/ Fentress area was the domain of Champ Ferguson. Even though the invite sounds amiable enough- I’m certain a lot of bitter division remained.

Vote Here:
I do however note that the clipping felt it necessary to state that Confederates would be welcome. In other words a Confederate veteran might know Albany, KY and Byrdstown, TN were generally pro-union and absent that statement would presume it was for Union veterans?
From what I've read, the Union vets and the Confederate vets kept apart. Union vets resented what they saw as "favoritism" towards their defeated foes while Confederate vets resented (1) having lost in the first place and (2) Union vets buying up southern properties. The last "reunion" in Philadelphia--the one all with pictures of all those old guys shaking hands and putting their arms around each other--ended in a ballyhoo at the final dinner that put several of the vets in the hospital. When individual groups sensibly wanted to bridge the divide, I guess specific notification was necessary.

Vote Here:
Back