Post-War Confederate Military: Organization

Luke Freet

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
I wish to look at how the Confederate Army would be organized following the war (Assuming that McClellan wins the '64 election due to Union repulse at Atlanta and an armistice in '65).
How many regiments would it have? How much will each state contribute to it?
I presume that a comparatively small force of Regular regiments make up the bulk of the peacetime force, whilst state troops are formed and utilized in times of war (similar to the U.S. system).
Im working on an OOB for the peacetime army; difficult is discerning how much of the Confederate Army will will remain in the service after the war. I would love discussion on the subject.

I wish to look at how the Confederate Army would be organized following the war (Assuming that McClellan wins the '64 election due to Union repulse at Atlanta and an armistice in '65).
How many regiments would it have? How much will each state contribute to it?
I presume that a comparatively small force of Regular regiments make up the bulk of the peacetime force, whilst state troops are formed and utilized in times of war (similar to the U.S. system).
Im working on an OOB for the peacetime army; difficult is discerning how much of the Confederate Army will will remain in the service after the war. I would love discussion on the subject.
By the way this belongs in the "What If?..." Discussion Board. Since you're asking this question I recommend moving to "What If?".

The regular army or Army of the Confederate States of America was authorized to have a strength of 15,000, comparable to the peacetime US Army despite the smaller population of the Confederacy. However this was never really formed except for the most senior generals like Lee and Samuel Cooper. The wartime force was the Provisional Army of the Confederate States, which was intended to be disbanded once the need for it had passed.

Ideally a professional, regular army would be recruited as individuals rather than by states, with regiments designated simply 1st Infantry, 1st Cavalry, etc. Of course that might change in a nation with a strong emphasis on states' rights. The states would presumably maintain part-time militias which could be called up as needed. Since the Confederacy would have a smaller population, it might be a more militarized nation than the USA, with the militias in a more effective state of training and readiness for either national defense or internal security against slave insurrection.

Back