Miniatures Share Your Non-Civil War Miniatures Here!

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
This Thread is here specifically as a place to post any photos of Non-Civil War Miniatures, either your work, or your photos of amazing work you think is worthy of showing off to others!

Please don't post Non-Civil War Miniatures photos anywhere but this thread!

Please don't post any Civil War Era Miniatures in this thread! If you see that someone has mistakenly done this, please report it and we will probably move it out and turn it into it's own thread so it can be featured on the forum and shared properly!

Thanks!

I’ve quite a few models but nothing CW related, it seems that now we have this forum I’m going to have to correct that. I’m impressed by the paint work on the figures posted above, absolutely awesome. What kind of paint are you guys using? is it acrylic. My biggest problem is with painting the faces and skin tones, I’ve got pretty good working with weathering powders and building dioramas but when it comes to figures it’s the skin I’m having problems with any advice would be great.

I’ve quite a few models but nothing CW related, it seems that now we have this forum I’m going to have to correct that. I’m impressed by the paint work on the figures posted above, absolutely awesome. What kind of paint are you guys using? is it acrylic. My biggest problem is with painting the faces and skin tones, I’ve got pretty good working with weathering powders and building dioramas but when it comes to figures it’s the skin I’m having problems with any advice would be great.
When I started MANY years ago I used primarily artist's oils . I converted to acrylics awhile ago , though I still use oils for horses and leather.Images 1 and 2 were works in progress . It is helpful to take a picture of the figure before finishing it . It helps you find errors .
1. Vallejo cowboy . Oils on horse and leather . Acrylics on everything else .
2. Master and Commander . Back when I used oils on skin.
3.WW1 Tommy. All acrylics , but oils used on gun stock.
4.Band of Brothers . Oils on rifle stock . Everything else is acrylics . There are some very good Youtube videos out there to help painting flesh . Check out Last Cavalry(Dave Younquist).

IMG_2338.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

When I started MANY years ago I used primarily artist's oils . I converted to acrylics awhile ago , though I still use oils for horses and leather.Images 1 and 2 were works in progress . It is helpful to take a picture of the figure before finishing it . It helps you find errors .
4.Band of Brothers . Oils on rifle stock . Everything else is acrylics . There are some very good Youtube videos out there to help painting flesh . Check out Last Cavalry(Dave Younquist).

View attachment 328123

View attachment 328124

View attachment 328126

View attachment 328127
Those are fantastic, Dick Winters is instantly recognisable, that’s some real talent.

View attachment 328123

View attachment 328124

View attachment 328126

View attachment 328127
That WW1 Tommy, I’ve just watched a trailer for the soon to be released movie ‘1917’ I wouldn’t mind trying my hand at something like that.

All of the above photos are incredible, I’ve just realised it’s not just the skin tone I have difficulty with, it’s the eyes, you guys have all managed to get the eyes rust right.
The nice thing about acrylics is you can correct mistakes immediately . The eyes just take practice , but I'm sure there are tutorials on YouTube . Never use white for the eyes . I use the skin tone lightened with a bit of deck tan (Vallejo) for the whites of the eyes .

I used to paint many years ago. I have painted some recently. I had a 77mm Russian Grenadier figure that I decided to have someone paint and mount in exchange for "Campaigns" magazines.

RG1812_01.jpg
RG1812_16.jpg

This is an Airfix French soldier that I modified to a Prince of Neuchatel's Battalion. Not a Univ of Tennessee cadet.
Figure_1559.JPG

I remember Campaigns . That was a great magazine .
I had 3 years or more of issues. I think I was missing only Issue No. 2. I kept a few---one is on the uniforms of the Italian Colonial Troops just prior to WW2.

Now I just pick up Del Prado figures at a cheap price. I have a friend who sales these at some of the antique malls. When he has a Father's Day or Christmas sale going, I can pick up a mounted figure for $20 or less.
I display them on small wooden racks. One was made from a pattern for displaying golf balls.

British_Guard.jpg
French_GrenadieraCheval_SNC083.jpg

Italian Hussar.JPG

A Del Prado German Grenadier 1805 with an Austrian Grenadier that I painted in the background.
German Grenadier.JPG

Pavlograd hussars.jpg

Can you identify this figure? Base is marked Frontline Figures 1997.
What officer is this? A General or an Aide to a General??
Napoleonic--Unknown Staff.jpg

Oh! I'm getting off the subject of Civil War.
I collected some Britians Civil War figures from National Parks that I've visited.
Confederate Officer.jpg

Then there is this Britains set of a Williams Gun.
I was researching this cannon and my friend who sales figures found this one. I paid about $80 for the set. But it motivated me to start building my 1/6 model of this rare Confederate breech-loader, aka "Machine Gun".
Britain_WmGun_109-B.jpg

Britain_ 001.jpg

Wm Gun small2.JPG

Sorry for such large images but I lost my Photo Editor program when I upgraded Windows.

Italian_Chasseur.jpg

British_Hussar.jpg

Confederate_Shiloh.jpg

Wm Gun small.JPG

I had 3 years or more of issues. I think I was missing only Issue No. 2. I kept a few---one is on the uniforms of the Italian Colonial Troops just prior to WW2.

Now I just pick up Del Prado figures at a cheap price. I have a friend who sales these at some of the antique malls. When he has a Father's Day or Christmas sale going, I can pick up a mounted figure for $20 or less.
I display them on small wooden racks. One was made from a pattern for displaying golf balls.

View attachment 328149View attachment 328150
View attachment 328164

A Del Prado German Grenadier 1805 with an Austrian Grenadier that I painted in the background.
View attachment 328165

View attachment 328154

Can you identify this figure? Base is marked Frontline Figures 1997.
What officer is this? A General or an Aide to a General??
View attachment 328155

Oh! I'm getting off the subject of Civil War.
I collected some Britians Civil War figures from National Parks that I've visited.
View attachment 328153

Then there is this Britains set of a Williams Gun.
I was researching this cannon and my friend who sales figures found this one. I paid about $80 for the set. But it motivated me to start building my 1/6 model of this rare Confederate breech-loader, aka "Machine Gun".
View attachment 328158
View attachment 328159

View attachment 328163

Sorry for such large images but I lost my Photo Editor program when I upgraded Windows.

View attachment 328148

View attachment 328151

View attachment 328152

View attachment 328162
Very nice ! I have Britains as well ; the Civil War medical series , some artillery with crews and Confederates along the Emmitsburg Road . I will post them in the future when I get my new camera figured out .

Back