Miniatures Post pictures of your miniatures here!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Those cobblestones might be kind of hard for riding his motorcycle on.
Is the castle based on a historic one?
It’s a Czechoslovak 1:72 kit so it’s probably based on one of the castles in Prague, I think it’s loosely based on Rabi castle. To be honest it’s not a great kit, if Steph hadn’t of claimed it for herself, I would have put in more detail but I had to hand it over because she wants to create a Game of Thrones diorama with snow and ice.
I’m thinking of building another castle but next time I’ll combine two kits, I wouldn’t mind building a castle set during the 12th century crusades. There are some great 1:72 crusader knight kits out there along with some great Saracen warriors.

Kurt G

First Sergeant
It’s a Czechoslovak 1:72 kit so it’s probably based on one of the castles in Prague, I think it’s loosely based on Rabi castle. To be honest it’s not a great kit, if Steph hadn’t of claimed it for herself, I would have put in more detail but I had to hand it over because she wants to create a Game of Thrones diorama with snow and ice.
I’m thinking of building another castle but next time I’ll combine two kits, I wouldn’t mind building a castle set during the 12th century crusades. There are some great 1:72 crusader knight kits out there along with some great Saracen warriors.
If she is doing snow and ice I'd recommend Kathy Millit's YouTube channel . Lots of information for doing that .

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host

Kurt G

First Sergeant
Have you entered any of your figures in any competition? If not, you should. Your skin tones are outstanding!
Thanks , but no I haven't . I think it was you who said that it is a solitary hobby .

Kurt G

First Sergeant
I did, and it is, but your work with a brush is as good as anything I've seen in competition.
Thanks for the kind words . I've been doing it a long time so practice helps. I had a period where I didn't do much painting , but then I started using acrylics and got interested again .

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Thanks for the kind words . I've been doing it a long time so practice helps. I had a period where I didn't do much painting , but then I started using acrylics and got interested again .
What do you do with your figures when you're done? do you keep them, give them away, or sell them? You must have quite the collection by now!
My son and his girlfriend will be visiting next week so I've been busy trying to finish some projects on my old house, but once his visit is over I will pick a brush up again. Well, I have been painting a lot, but mostly walls and trim so that doesn't count. Out of all the figures I've painted, I only have just a few. I either sold them, traded them, or gave them away. I was going through some boxes yesterday and found a box of unpainted figures I had forgotten about, so now I have no excuses.

Seriously, you should enter a few of your best into the Chicago show, (October), or Atlanta, (February?). I think your painting is that good. I've been thinking about going to the Atlanta show, to get inspiration, and get out of Missouri in the Winter, if nothing else.

James N.

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Featured Book Reviewer
DSC06990crop.jpg

Around 2000 the William Britains Co., Ltd. produced several groups of figures or dioramas based on the artwork of Don Troiani, Keith Rocco, and possibly others, including sets or individual figures depicting Rocco's Garnett's Brigade in Pickett's Charge, the Iron Brigade in the Cornfield at Antietam, and others. This one is based on Troiani's well-known painting of the charge of the Union's Irish Brigade at Fredericksburg. Note in the original reproduced below how closely the poses replicate those in the painting. To achieve the photo I had to shift the focus from the flags-as-centerpiece and concentrate on the figures in the foreground. I also had to add a regular sack-coated color-bearer for the U.S. National flag and another infantryman in the rear rank. This was released as a diorama group plus several individuals; I was able to find the prone casualty and the officer waving his sword from the diorama set, but all the others were purchased as individual figures in bubble packs.

IrishBrigade11181101.jpg

DSC06995.JPG

Above and below, details of the figures and Regimental Irish and National colors.

DSC06996.JPG

Last edited:

Kurt G

First Sergeant
View attachment 332637

Around 2000 the William Britains Co., Ltd. produced several groups of figures or dioramas based on the artwork of Don Troiani, Dale gallon, and possibly others, including sets or individual figures depicting Garnett's Brigade in Pickett's Charge, the Iron Brigade in the Cornfield at Antietam, and others. This one is based on Troiani's well-known painting of the charge of the Union's Irish Brigade at Fredericksburg. Note in the original reproduced below how closely the poses replicate those in the painting. To achieve the photo I had to shift the focus from the flags-as-centerpiece and concentrate on the figures in the foreground. I also had to add a regular sack-coated colorbearer for the U.S. National flag and another infantryman in the rear rank. This was released as a diorama group plus several individuals; I was able to find the prone casualty and the officer waving his sword from the diorama set, but all the others were purchased as individual figures in bubble packs.

View attachment 332645

View attachment 332641

Above and below, details of the figures and Regimental Irish and National colors.

View attachment 332642
Very nice !