Miniatures Post pictures of your miniatures here!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
Mike was quick to respond to our request for a gaming and miniature forum, and to show our appreciation for his work, I'm asking that if you paint miniatures, or just purchase them, or you saw one that you found interesting, etc., please post a picture here. If you posted a picture some time ago, post it again. My idea is that this thread will be a gallery of pictures, that will be continuously added to over time. Your contribution to the thread is appreciated.

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
I’ve quite a few models but nothing CW related, it seems that now we have this forum I’m going to have to correct that. I’m impressed by the paint work on the figures posted above, absolutely awesome. What kind of paint are you guys using? is it acrylic. My biggest problem is with painting the faces and skin tones, I’ve got pretty good working with weathering powders and building dioramas but when it comes to figures it’s the skin I’m having problems with any advice would be great.

Kurt G

First Sergeant
I’ve quite a few models but nothing CW related, it seems that now we have this forum I’m going to have to correct that. I’m impressed by the paint work on the figures posted above, absolutely awesome. What kind of paint are you guys using? is it acrylic. My biggest problem is with painting the faces and skin tones, I’ve got pretty good working with weathering powders and building dioramas but when it comes to figures it’s the skin I’m having problems with any advice would be great.
When I started MANY years ago I used primarily artist's oils . I converted to acrylics awhile ago , though I still use oils for horses and leather.Images 1 and 2 were works in progress . It is helpful to take a picture of the figure before finishing it . It helps you find errors .
1. Vallejo cowboy . Oils on horse and leather . Acrylics on everything else .
2. Master and Commander . Back when I used oils on skin.
3.WW1 Tommy. All acrylics , but oils used on gun stock.
4.Band of Brothers . Oils on rifle stock . Everything else is acrylics . There are some very good Youtube videos out there to help painting flesh . Check out Last Cavalry(Dave Younquist).

IMG_2338.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

IMG_1820.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
When I started MANY years ago I used primarily artist's oils . I converted to acrylics awhile ago , though I still use oils for horses and leather.Images 1 and 2 were works in progress . It is helpful to take a picture of the figure before finishing it . It helps you find errors .
4.Band of Brothers . Oils on rifle stock . Everything else is acrylics . There are some very good Youtube videos out there to help painting flesh . Check out Last Cavalry(Dave Younquist).

View attachment 328123

View attachment 328124

View attachment 328126

View attachment 328127
Those are fantastic, Dick Winters is instantly recognisable, that’s some real talent.

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron

View attachment 328123

View attachment 328124

View attachment 328126

View attachment 328127
That WW1 Tommy, I’ve just watched a trailer for the soon to be released movie ‘1917’ I wouldn’t mind trying my hand at something like that.

Kurt G

First Sergeant
All of the above photos are incredible, I’ve just realised it’s not just the skin tone I have difficulty with, it’s the eyes, you guys have all managed to get the eyes rust right.
The nice thing about acrylics is you can correct mistakes immediately . The eyes just take practice , but I'm sure there are tutorials on YouTube . Never use white for the eyes . I use the skin tone lightened with a bit of deck tan (Vallejo) for the whites of the eyes .

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Just watched "They Shall Not Grow Old " a few weeks ago . The Tommy is a bust by Young Miniatures . They mostly have WW2 , but some WW1 and a few others as well .
They shall not grow old, it really bring those men back to life, very moving. Many thanks for the info on Young Miniatures. :thumbsup:

Kurt G

First Sergeant