Post factory parts coding..interesting to me..

Garandguy

Private
Whilst breaking down my latest rifle in the ''Enfield area", I found these markings under the hammer...not visible when assembled, it looks like someone, somewhere, tried to code the Hammer to the Lock, as these were not interchangeable..

plate3.jpg

plate1.jpg

plate2.jpg

The Stock has the Birmingham roundel, and also "J" or "I" "DIXON" stamped sideways on the wood that holds the Lock. I found a John Dixon and Sons that made accessories like pouches during the CW, but were primarily silversmiths. Don't know if they made stocks(?)

Looking at the 1861 directory for Birmingham, there were lots of Dixons...everything from shoemakers to clerks. None were listed as gun stock makers. Doesn't mean much though. Is it stamped in between the two brass escutcheons by the lock plate screws? It could be the lock maker. Sometimes Barnett put their stamp in that location. I know that was the case on some Tower marked Enfields that were part of an early shipment aboard the Bermuda, if I am recalling that correctly. In other words, it could be "setter-up" who filled the contract.

Last edited:
Looking at the 1861 directory for Birmingham, there were lots of Dixons...everything from shoemakers to clerks. None were listed as gun stock makers. Doesn't mean much though. Is it stamped in between the two brass escutcheons by the lock plate screws? It could be the lock maker. Sometimes Barnett put their stamp in that location. I know that was the case on some Tower marked Enfields that were part of an early shipment aboard the Bermuda, if I am recalling that correctly. In other words, it could be "setter-up" who filled the contract.
It is stamped on the left flat, behind the rear escutcheon, cross-wise to the barrel. I'll try and put up a picture...thanks.

Back