Post civil war, the Indian Wars

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade
Until we do...if we do... anybody got any American Indian War web sites that they like?

One like this would be great (obviously) or civilwaralbum.com

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
Seems like this is a good place to suggest a forum for the Indian Wars, both pre and post actually.

Alot of the same players... some ties to reconstruction as well.

I'd volunteer to be the host but doubt I'd be a good one as I don't frequent the board that much... and don't have much expertise, just alot of interest.

Whadayall think?
Although I find that period quite interesting as well, we ought to ask ourselves have we exhausted all topics concerning the rebellion? Since it was such a huge turning point in our history whose characters and politics still influence us today, does that open this forum to even more modern topics, thus changing and diluting our focus? For example, some of those who served in the War with Spain were veterans of the rebellion as well and it acted as a catalyst for reconcilliation: should we add a forum for it? Is a new forum needed, or just more new threads? Would it be better to simply start a new forum, modeled after this, but a completely independent spin-off?
In the end, this forum- as I understand it- is, and should be, whatever we, the members, want it to be. Perhaps a poll is in order....

I'd love to see an Indian Wars forum added since I know very little about that part of our history and the fact that some of that period did run concurrent with the Civil War and Reconstruction period. I like the structure of this site and the members who regularly contribute here. The moderators would keep in check some of the hotter topics that have a habit of spiraling out of control on other websites. In the end, it's Mike's and Ami's site to run as they see fit and as far as I'm concerned, they've done an outstanding job whether the forum is added or not.

GS

Retired User
One huge connecting factor, the CW with Indian Wars, was that General Sherman was orchestrating the whole sordid affair, with his usual attitude for judging some humanity as inferior.

jackt62

Captain
Perhpas a forum about the Indian Wars might be restricted to the conflict that took place only during the CW itself? I am referring mostly to the Dakota war in Minnesota and North Dakota from 1862 through 1864. This would cover a very relevant period of the CW in that it involved actions by federal forces and the Lincoln administration that impacted what was happening in the conflict with the confederacy.

Perhpas a forum about the Indian Wars might be restricted to the conflict that took place only during the CW itself? I am referring mostly to the Dakota war in Minnesota and North Dakota from 1862 through 1864. This would cover a very relevant period of the CW in that it involved actions by federal forces and the Lincoln administration that impacted what was happening in the conflict with the confederacy.

Imho, that would be like restricting discussion of the Civil War, its causes and it's post-war effects on the veterans and people who lived through it, to the years 1861-1865.

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
I think that it will not historically do it justice because the ACW was a spec of time compared to the Indian Wars that started in 1609 and ended in (about) 1924.

315 years of History will be distilled into another Custer and the Lakota nation situation, without even taking into consideration the history of those things.

I am all about an Indian Wars Forum, but it better be inclusive, and to do that one will have to start discussing events from the 17th to the 20th Century, which I am not sure that do not seem to be in the scope of this site. On the other hand, events that happened from the 15th century, until the 1960s (slavery and human rights) are often discussed here without a blink.

jackt62

Captain
The Indian Wars are an important and serious subject that deserve consideration, but again, being that this is a CivilWarTalk site, it might be advisable to limit the time frame of that discussion.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
Seems like this is a good place to suggest a forum for the Indian Wars, both pre and post actually.

Alot of the same players... some ties to reconstruction as well.

I'd volunteer to be the host but doubt I'd be a good one as I don't frequent the board that much... and don't have much expertise, just alot of interest.

Whadayall think?
I would suggest a message to @civilwartalk since folks seem interested in it.
I have no problem with discussions of the so-called Indian Wars here, up through the 1870s.

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Has anyone sent Mike or Ami a PM requesting an Indian Wars Forum yet? Ideas can suffer a sudden death if they are not acted upon, strike whilst the iron is hot so to speak.

Waterloo50

Major
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Didn't someone also suggest a Civil war outlaws forum, somewhere where the likes of Jesse James, Bill Anderson and Cole Younger could be discussed. I think that would be an appropriate subject for a CW forum.

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade

That time period is already considered part of the ACW (at least according to the NPS list of major battlefields). I suppose a forum would focus the discussion but I'm looking to expand the discussion...as long as it is significantly related to the ACW.

I think that it will not historically do it justice because the ACW was a spec of time compared to the Indian Wars that started in 1609 and ended in (about) 1924.

315 years of History will be distilled into another Custer and the Lakota nation situation, without even taking into consideration the history of those things.

I am all about an Indian Wars Forum, but it better be inclusive, and to do that one will have to start discussing events from the 17th to the 20th Century, which I am not sure that do not seem to be in the scope of this site. On the other hand, events that happened from the 15th century, until the 1960s (slavery and human rights) are often discussed here without a blink.

.... but that's a little too expansive/inclusive for my blood E. I think we could define some kind of link to the ACW whether it be soldiers (before and after) or maybe actions west of the Mississippi (westward expansion was an important factor in bringing on the war).

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
.... but that's a little too expansive/inclusive for my blood E. I think we could define some kind of link to the ACW whether it be soldiers (before and after) or maybe actions west of the Mississippi (westward expansion was an important factor in bringing on the war).

Only issue with that is that (let's say) the Lakota wars started in the 1840s with the expansion west, before they concluded after the ACW. You cannot ignore Manifest Destiny, Lewis & Clark, and the Oregon, Santa Fe, and Mormon trails and have a decent understanding of the Indian Wars. Neither your understanding can be complete, unless you realized that the expulsion of Nations such as the Cherokees and Seminoles from GA and FL to areas occupied by other Nations out west, in the early 1800s, messed up the balance out there, causing further movement northwards and hostilities.

Not. About. Custer... Custer was a footnote, albeit an ugly one, in the story of the Indian Wars.

A Reconstruction Era Indian Wars / Indian Removal forum is a great idea.

I really can't understand why some members of this site are against a discussion about Union and Confederate Veterans uniting to eradicate our Native American tribes.

But we must remember, such was the policy of the United States Government before, during and after our "Civil War".

Last edited:
If a forum about the Indian Wars is thought to be established one should remember that the indian wars began, in the end, several hundred years before the civil war. So a limit to those within the 19th century, and thus with a possibly more direct connection like e.g. people related to both those and the civil war, seems useful.

diane

Retired User
If a forum about the Indian Wars is thought to be established one should remember that the indian wars began, in the end, several hundred years before the civil war. So a limit to those within the 19th century, and thus with a possibly more direct connection like e.g. people related to both those and the civil war, seems useful.

That was more the restriction I'd thought about - just the conflicts in the 19th century. The post-Civil War era, led by the same men who whopped the tar out of the South, swept into the Plains like the Ghengis Khan and the Mongols.Sherman, Sheridan, Hooker, A J Smith, Pickett - the emphasis is usually on their experience in the Mexican War, but they were all Indian fighters before.

Irishtom29

2nd Lieutenant
A Reconstruction Era Indian Wars / Indian Removal forum is a great idea.

I really can't understand why some members of this site are against a discussion about Union and Confederate Veterans uniting to eradicate our Native American tribes.

But we must remember, such was the policy of the United States Government before, during and after our "Civil War".

Not eradication, subjugation. There's a considerable difference.

Irishtom29

2nd Lieutenant
I think the most interesting Indian wars are those of the Northeast, Ohio Country and Pays d'en Haut. I find Minavavana, Charles Langlade, Neolin, Pontiac, Logan, Joseph Brant, Little Turtle, Billy Caldwell and Tenskwatawa more compelling than the more familiar characters out west.

Last edited:

KLSDAD

First Sergeant
Honored Fallen Comrade
That was more the restriction I'd thought about - just the conflicts in the 19th century. The post-Civil War era, led by the same men who whopped the tar out of the South, swept into the Plains like the Ghengis Khan and the Mongols.Sherman, Sheridan, Hooker, A J Smith, Pickett - the emphasis is usually on their experience in the Mexican War, but they were all Indian fighters before.
Yes! This!! ..... plus a bit of pre-CW activity involving soldiers who got along quite nicely in the pre-CW days like Crook, Stuart, VanDorn, Hancock, Warren, Sherman, Grant, Sully, Harney etc