POST CIVIL WAR Martini Henry bayonets portrayed as P53 Enfield bayonet

Adam1stVa

Corporal
Just informed another seller on Ebay that they were portraying a POST CIVIL WAR Martini Henry breach loader bayonet as being for the Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle Musket. I think there are many out there who disagree or don't know the difference Want to make sure everyone on this forum knows the differences:
P53 blade 4+ inches shorter; P53 is flared away from the muzzle area to allow room for loading when fixed, Martini Henry is straight down the barrel; cross section of Martini Henry bayonet is equal sided (equilateral triangle), the P53 cross section has two shorter sides (isosceles triangle).
Most obvious differences are with the scabbards: Martini Henry has a steel spline riveted inside it to help support the 21+ inch blade, and the scabbard was designed to bend at the juncture of the brass tip to allow for stooping and carrying such a long blade at the waste.

Many years ago, I bought a Martini bayonet thinking it was a P53. Part of the learning process. At least it makes a cool candle holder.

One thing about the P53 bayonet is they don't interchange, so you can look high a low to find one that will fit your P53 Enfield

One thing about the P53 bayonet is they don't interchange, so you can look high a low to find one that will fit your P53 Enfield
Yea, I had to haul my P53 up to the Horse Soldier in Gettysburg to get one to fit correctly. It's still a few thousandths big, but appropriately snug.

Just informed another seller on Ebay that they were portraying a POST CIVIL WAR Martini Henry breach loader bayonet as being for the Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle Musket. I think there are many out there who disagree or don't know the difference Want to make sure everyone on this forum knows the differences:
P53 blade 4+ inches shorter; P53 is flared away from the muzzle area to allow room for loading when fixed, Martini Henry is straight down the barrel; cross section of Martini Henry bayonet is equal sided (equilateral triangle), the P53 cross section has two shorter sides (isosceles triangle).
Most obvious differences are with the scabbards: Martini Henry has a steel spline riveted inside it to help support the 21+ inch blade, and the scabbard was designed to bend at the juncture of the brass tip to allow for stooping and carrying such a long blade at the waste.

It would be great if there were pictures of them side by side? Could you provide to elaborate on the difference?

It would be great if there were pictures of them side by side? Could you provide to elaborate on the difference?
There should be a side by side comparison photo on line. Measure the blade. If it is 17+ inches, has the 2 shorter sides, and flares away from the muzzle, its for a P53. Martini Henry blade is 21+ inches with equal width sides and no flare away from the muzzle because its for a breach loader. Sockets vary in diameter, even if all were made to fit the P53. Basically, the Pattern 1853 really does fit the description: "Hand Made".

Back