Post a photo of your 'Civil War Era' ancestor

James P. Smith
jacksonstaff.jpg
James_Power_Smith.jpg

I found a larger version of one of your photos. From "Life of Lieutenant-General Nathan Bedford Forrest," John A Wyeth, 1900.
View attachment 117618
https://archive.org/stream/lifeoflieutenant00wyeth#page/234/mode/2up
Thank you so much for all this. I've come up with more information a few weeks ago, and even managed to find a battle report. Please be sure to check your inbox soon, I'll let you know when I send it. I've grown to have a personal bond to Forrest for his connections of friendship to the family.

Thank you so much for all this. I've come up with more information a few weeks ago, and even managed to find a battle report. Please be sure to check your inbox soon, I'll let you know when I send it. I've grown to have a personal bond to Forrest for his connections of friendship to the family.
I did a last name word search for him at that link for the NBF book. His name appears a few dozen times in the first third of the book. After that... nothing. It made his death seem more personal.

This photo has been in the family for years.. my dad got it from his mom who got it from her mom etc.. I am from Michigan but this photo - I am told is of my "great great great uncle" .. I was told his name is Alan Carter (from Kentucky) and he was killed on lookout mountain in Tennessee during the Civil War. I don't know if any of that is true. Can anyone help me identify anything from this photo that would help me with this? I will appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Thanks!
Civil war pic 1.jpg

This photo has been in the family for years.. my dad got it from his mom who got it from her mom etc.. I am from Michigan but this photo - I am told is of my "great great great uncle" .. I was told his name is Alan Carter (from Kentucky) and he was killed on lookout mountain in Tennessee during the Civil War. I don't know if any of that is true. Can anyone help me identify anything from this photo that would help me with this? I will appreciate any help that anyone can offer.

Thanks!View attachment 118197

Welcome ! I found a Union soldier named Andrew Carter, a Private in Company H, 3rd KY Infantry. He enlisted on 8/11/1861 at Camp Dick Robinson, KY. He mustered into Co.H on 10/8/1861. While the Union 3rd KY was indeed at Lookout Mountain & Missionary Ridge, Andrew was wounded at Stones River in Tennessee on 12/31/1862. He died of wounds at Nashville on 1/20/1863.

This is believed to be a CDV of Cos F 3rd IA VI. I would like to believe my ancestor, Frank Conrad, is in this pick. His first combat was at Shiloh. He lost an eye at the Hatchee and was mustered out. He is buried in Douglas MN.

View attachment 13493

I have seen this photo in a few websites and have been trying to find information about it. Where did you learn that it could be Co F of the 3d Iowa? My interest is that I am helping my dad complete a book about the 3d IA and this photo is the only group photo I have found that is supposed to be them. (Incidentally, the officer in the front to our left resembles a photo of Capt John Ruckman (Co B))

Tim Jeffers

I have seen this photo in a few websites and have been trying to find information about it. Where did you learn that it could be Co F of the 3d Iowa? My interest is that I am helping my dad complete a book about the 3d IA and this photo is the only group photo I have found that is supposed to be them. (Incidentally, the officer in the front to our left resembles a photo of Capt John Ruckman (Co B))

Tim Jeffers
The original owner. I will have to look for his name & contact info as this was several years back.

F cos was from Fayette County with many a stone set in local cemeteries including several stones set with the actual man buried down south. My own ancestor was with F Cos from Shiloh to the Hatchie where he lost an eye.

D cos was largely out of the Decorah area with quite a lot of info on their historical society.

In the past I did a lot of research into the 3rd IA & have come to view them as a superb Regiment.

Thanks!View attachment 118197
He is wearing either an artillery or cavalry shell jacket. The saber and revolvers may be photographer's props, but I'm guessing cavalry.

James Wesley Woodard and wife Caroline--post war. My ggrandfather and mother. He served in Co. K 60th Illinois Volunteer. Wounded on skirmish at Buzzard Roost, Ga 3/1864 with ball or shrapnel. Woodard marched with Sherman to the sea.

Attachments

• james wesley woodard and wife caroline.JPG
    james wesley woodard and wife caroline.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 151
I wish I could. I've been searching and searching and searching for a picture of my G-G-Grandfather or his unit.
Bumbra Willis Backe (PVT)
Recruited in Warrenton, VA into the Confederate Army
A Company, 12th Virginia Light Artillery (AKA "Brooke's Battery", "Warrenton Light Artillery", "Utterback's Battery")
Part of Jackson's II Corps. Then A.P. Hill's III Corps. Pender's Division. Poague's Battalion at the battle of Gettysburg. Participated in: Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor, Chancelorsville too, I believe.

If anyone has ANY pictures of Poague's Battalion, or A Company, 12th Virginia Light Artillery, or anything.......please please please shoot them my way or point me in the right direction. Your help is so appreciated.

I wish I could. I've been searching and searching and searching for a picture of my G-G-Grandfather or his unit.
Bumbra Willis Backe (PVT)
Recruited in Warrenton, VA into the Confederate Army
A Company, 12th Virginia Light Artillery (AKA "Brooke's Battery", "Warrenton Light Artillery", "Utterback's Battery")
Part of Jackson's II Corps. Then A.P. Hill's III Corps. Pender's Division. Poague's Battalion at the battle of Gettysburg. Participated in: Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor, Chancelorsville too, I believe.

If anyone has ANY pictures of Poague's Battalion, or A Company, 12th Virginia Light Artillery, or anything.......please please please shoot them my way or point me in the right direction. Your help is so appreciated.
I found no photos. Here is a link to a three page article "Poague in the Wilderness."
https://archive.org/details/bomb1915virg/page/188?q=Poague's+Battalion

I found no photos. Here is a link to a three page article "Poague in the Wilderness."
https://archive.org/details/bomb1915virg/page/188?q=Poague's+Battalion
Much obliged. Very very cool. Amazing thinking my G-G-Grandfather was privy to all that that went on in that article. Do you have any suggestions whatsoever about how to go about finding any photos of Poague's battalion or batteries? I'm actually going the broad route right now simply because I figure finding pictures of Brooke's Battery/Utterback's Battery/Warrenton Light Artillery/etc will be even more difficult. I've googled my face off, but I'm getting a little disheartened - I've found tons of pictures of other artillery units but this one is completely evading me.

Much obliged. Very very cool. Amazing thinking my G-G-Grandfather was privy to all that that went on in that article. Do you have any suggestions whatsoever about how to go about finding any photos of Poague's battalion or batteries? I'm actually going the broad route right now simply because I figure finding pictures of Brooke's Battery/Utterback's Battery/Warrenton Light Artillery/etc will be even more difficult. I've googled my face off, but I'm getting a little disheartened - I've found tons of pictures of other artillery units but this one is completely evading me.
I sent you a message.

My great grandfather, Arnold Green Miller of Atascosa County, Texas, was a stock raiser. He was 23 when he enlisted as a private in Company C, Wood's Texas Cavalry Regiment on Mar. 22, 1862. After his younger brother Frank returned with the 5th Texas Mounted Volunteers following Sibley's failed New Mexico expedition, Arnold transferred to the 5th on Aug. 25, 1862. Under Sibley, and later Tom Green, the 5th served at the recapture of Galveston and then in most of the battles in Louisiana. Arnold returned home safe, although his brother Frank died of disease in 1863.

Arnold G Miller 2.jpg

Back