Post a photo of your 'Civil War Era' ancestor

upload_2016-5-4_8-43-17.png

Here is a second Civil War photograph of my 3 x Great Grandfather John Martin Jordan. My Mother brought this picture home after returning from a trip to visit relatives in Wichita, Kansas. Compared to the other photo of John, I think this one might have been taken later in the war. Also, because of the photo's fragile condition, this is a photo of the portrait rather than a scan of the picture itself.

f7736e7f-f230-48cc-8536-41e544c8c4db.jpg

There, I got it! This is the only photograph I have of one of my Civil War Ancestors.
James Peyton Glenn - 18th Virginia Infantry - Company D
Enlisted as a Private - Elected and commissioned as a 2nd Lt. at Pamplin Depot, Va. - April 1861
Wounded at Gaines Mill - June 1862 (ear)
Promoted to 1st Lt. - July 1862
Wounded at Second Manassas - August 1862 (thigh)
Returned to duty as acting company commander - March 1863
Wounded and captured at Gettysburg - July 1863 (right leg)
Paroled from Johnson's Island, Ohio - March 1865
Promoted to Captain - while on furlough - March 1865

This photo was taken around 1880. Notice how he holds his head to hide his wounded
ear. (a little vanity I suppose) After the Civil War James Peyton Glenn became a farmer
and high school principal in Prince Edward County, Virginia where he lived for the rest
of his life.

Last edited:
upload_2016-5-4_15-29-42.png

My GGG Grandfather 1st Sgt. William H. Andrews of the 1st Georgia Regulars

upload_2016-5-4_15-30-42.png

GGG Grandfather Pvt. William R. Hancock of the 11th Georgia Cavalry

upload_2016-5-4_15-37-21.png

GGG Grandfather Pvt. Nathaniel H. Skinner of the 4th Georgia Cavalry State Guards

upload_2016-5-4_15-39-26.png

GGG Uncle 5th Sgt. Andrew Jackson Grant of the 36th Georgia Infantry (notice missing arm from being wounded at Missionary Ridge)

upload_2016-5-4_15-41-30.png

GGG Uncle Pvt. Cicero R. Bowles of the 13th Georgia Cavalry

Here's a relatively "new" picture of one of my GGGrandUncles. Lewis Massuere enlisted as a Private in the 3rd Independent Battery, Wisconsin Volunteer Light Artillery on Jan 1, 1862 at Berlin, Wisconsin. He became a driver for one of the battery's six guns (4 10pdr Parrott rifles and 2 12pder howitzers.) The unit just missed Shiloh as part of Buell's forces, then participated in the "Siege" of Corinth and Buell's advance on Chattanooga. At Perryville the unit saw no action with Crittenden's Corps, and at Stones River they guarded McFadden's Ford on 31DEC1862 with little action but on 02JAN1863 they were in the path of Breckenridge's charge. Withdrawing back to the west side of Stones River, they were put in Mendenhall's gun line and helped stop the attack cold. At Chickamauga, his unit fought at Viniard's Field on 19SEP1863, and on 20SEP1863 was again part of one of Maj Mendenhall's gun lines, but they were in the path of Longstreet's attack and lost 5 of 6 guns. PVT Massuere spent the rest of the war in garrison at Chattanooga or in Fortress Rosecrans back in Murfreesboro. He "veteranized" in JAN1864 and mustered out with his unit on 03JUL1865. After the war he married Eliza Shephard in Wisconsin and had eight children, of which Susan is pictured in the thumbnail here.
View attachment 13170
Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 3.44.05 PM.png

History of the services of the Third Battery, Wisconsin Light Artillery in the Civil War of the United States, 1861-65
by Wisconsin Artillery. 3d Battery, 1861-1865; Bradt, Hiram Henry Gillespie, 1826- , comp
Published 1902
https://archive.org/stream/historyofservice00wisc#page/n155/mode/2up/search/Massuere

Chattahooch33 apparently we are related then. John Angel Hopper is my 3 Great Grandfather. I would be glad to exchange genealogy information with you. I have quite a bit on the Hoppers.

Regards

William B. Wofford. Originally of the 18th Georgia, he was handpicked along with many out of the 16th, 18th, 24th Georgias, Cobb's Legion, and Phillips Legion (All in Wofford's Georgia Brigade) to form the 3rd Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters.[/QUOTE]

William Franklin "Grandpa Billy" Owen Sr
My GGG Grandfather through my grandmother on my dad's side of the family. He would have been from her grandmother's (Owen) side. Born in 1836, died in 1889, fought during the Civil War with Company A, Forty-second Regiment North Carolina Infantry.

wb8ha0.jpg

William Estes Anderson
My great-grandfather, born in 1855, died 1946, the year my dad was born. He would have been 6 when the Civil War started, and I'm told that he remembered his older brothers going off to fight. I have relatives alive today who remember him, and my Uncle Neil actually looks a lot like him now that he's passed 80, especially when he grows his moustache.
mrz0o3.jpg

Last edited:
This is such a great forum and a wonderful way to preserve history! Here is an old tintype photo I have of my family that includes my g grandparents, Henry Ferdinand Luhrs (bottom right) and Eliza Hatfield Kent (left sitting), and gg grandparents Mary Carter Kent (sitting next to Eliza second left) and Joseph Allen Kent, (top right) who was
Nanny Old Pics 5 049.jpg
with the 73rd NY Volunteers (Second NY Fire Zouaves).

What a great image. He has a South Carolina buckle on. Interesting mystery to solve...

William Franklin "Grandpa Billy" Owen Sr

My GGG Grandfather through my grandmother on my dad's side of the family. He would have been from her grandmother's (Owen) side. Born in 1836, died in 1889, fought during the Civil War with Company A, Forty-second Regiment North Carolina Infantry.

wb8ha0.jpg

William Estes Anderson
My great-grandfather, born in 1855, died 1946, the year my dad was born. He would have been 6 when the Civil War started, and I'm told that he remembered his older brothers going off to fight. I have relatives alive today who remember him, and my Uncle Neil actually looks a lot like him now that he's passed 80, especially when he grows his moustache.
mrz0o3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

GGG Grandfather
Expired Image Removed

Photo Source:
Darlington County Historical Commission 204 Hewitt Street Darlington, SC 29532 Office: 843-398-4710

Eli Odom Born 30 Oct 1822
Company/Regiment: 8th Regiment South Carolina Volunteers, Company A - Darlington Rifles

Date of Service: 31 Apr 1861
Date of Discharge: 12 Feb 1862

Elected First Lieutenant by his compatriots.
Served through the First Battle of Manassas (21 Jul 1861).
Contracted typhoid in camp after the battle.
Granted a medical discharge by Secretary of War Judah P. Benjamin on (12 Feb 1862).
Elected tax collector for Darlington District on (21 Apr 1862).
Appointed Deputy Sheriff for Darlington District on (8 Feb 1864).
Obituary states Eli fathered 23 children (28 Jun 1888). Family Bible shows 19 children.​

GGG Grandfather
Expired Image Removed

Photo Source:
Darlington County Historical Commission 204 Hewitt Street Darlington, SC 29532 Office: 843-398-4710

Eli Odom Born 30 Oct 1822
Company/Regiment: 8th Regiment South Carolina Volunteers, Company A - Darlington Rifles

Date of Service: 31 Apr 1861
Date of Discharge: 12 Feb 1862

Elected First Lieutenant by his compatriots.
Served through the First Battle of Manassas (21 Jul 1861).
Contracted typhoid in camp after the battle.
Granted a medical discharge by Secretary of War Judah P. Benjamin on (12 Feb 1862).
Elected tax collector for Darlington District on (21 Apr 1862).
Appointed Deputy Sheriff for Darlington District on (8 Feb 1864).
Obituary states Eli fathered 23 children (28 Jun 1888). Family Bible shows 19 children.​
I can see the family resemblance. :D

What a great image. He has a South Carolina buckle on. Interesting mystery to solve...

Yeah, I'm not sure how to explain that. Possibly a borrowed or surplus uniform? I really don't know. I found a replica belt buckle just like his, and that's the one I wear when reenacting. It would be cool to find a pleated repro uniform like his as well.

John Richard Thompson-3rd GGU
Birth Date: 1827
County: Johnston
State: North Carolina
Death: 1905
Place of enlistment: Raleigh
Rank and age at enlistment: Private, 35-Conscript
State served: North Carolina
Service Record: Company C, 1st North Carolina Infantry Regiment NC Troops.
II Corps: General Thomas J Jackson
Division: General D H Hill
Brigade: General Roswell Ripley
Regiment: Lt Col Hamilton A Brown

John Richard Thompson was drafted into the Confederate Army , July 15, 1862. He fought with the 1st Infantry Regiment NC Troops. He was wounded at the battle of Sharpsburg or ( Antietam). He survived the war. He returned home to Johnston County and resumed farming. He married Martha J Peedin and they had six children.
John Thompson is front left sitting.
ce464276-8472-4bc8-b7ed-fb3438d9be37.jpg

I have photos but they are all framed and hanging in my home. however i do wish i had a photo of one of my ancestors, 2nd Lt. John Hemphil McDaniel of the 6th South Carolina Infantry Co.F. If anyne could find a photo of him id be very thankfull.
I've been searching for a couple of years for my gg grandfather's photo. H.J.Cox. 16th Ga Reg. I'll keep an eye out for your ancestors photo. Why I responded is because I've seen that name in my genealogy somewhere and I think photo also. I'm not positive but I'll keep my eyes open in my research for my gg grandfathers photo. :smile:

Back