Post 1861 Peace Convention, were there any other attempts to bring seceded states back into the Union?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Duncan

Sergeant
Well then you should agree that it was a great thing that Lincoln presided over the end of there being "slave" states
I like living in a country that made the effort to eradicate slavery rather than one that took up arms to perpetuate it
Lincoln did no such thing. He was long gone when the Union slave state of Kentucky finally, after a bitter political battle, was forced to give up slavery. And I would prefer to live in a country of free citizens who have the right to live under a government by consent. Not the giant Gulag that Lincoln made out of the United States.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
Gee, what a wonderful thing free speech is.

Indeed.

But if you dare to choose simple political independence and self-government, the guns will open fire and the bloody merciless slaughter will commence.

Too simple of an excuse for one of the worst reasons a people wanted political independence and self-government. As for all the bloodshed and slaughter, you have to look to those very same folks who said all the blood spilled in a civil war could be mopped up in a hankerchief.

Just like under the rule of any King, Dictator, Military Junta, or Mafia Don.

No such system existed in the US before, during, or after Lincoln.

Lincoln betrayed the sacred right to alter and abolish systems of government and made a mockery of the equally sacred idea of government by consent.

Lincoln upheld his oath and the US Constitution in the face of raw, naked, violence, which was begun solely for the purpose of maintaining slavery and an attempt to deny free men the right to exercise their rights in a free and fair election.

And we are all diminished by his presidency.

Not in the least. He helped save this nation from a reckless attempt to destroy it's liberty and it's freedoms.
What diminishes us is the inability to face our history with any real telling of the facts of that history.

Unionblue

NedBaldwin

Major
Lincoln did no such thing. He was long gone when the Union slave state of Kentucky finally, after a bitter political battle, was forced to give up slavery.
But Lincoln did? He lived to see the 13th Amendment get through Congress, something he had a role in.
If it werent for a proslavery assassin, he would have lived to see it ratified and Kentucky forced to give up slavery
(so much obsession with Kentucky -- which was a divided state, providing many men to the confederate cause).

And I would prefer to live in a country of free citizens who have the right to live under a government by consent.
Glad to see we both would not like to live in the Confederacy

Not the giant Gulag that Lincoln made out of the United States.
No idea what you are talking about

BuckeyeWarrior

Corporal
To get back to the topic at hand. I do not believe there were any attempts after the peace conference. If there were they would have failed miserably as the others had. Fire eaters in the south, starting with John Calhoun, had been beating the drum of disunion for thirty years, they just needed a reason. The rise of the republican party, or black republicans as they called them, was the reason. They threatened to secede in 1856 if the Republicans won, and threatened and actually did, in 1860. It would not have mattered who the republican nominee was, the results would have been the same. Rebellion by the slavocracy and eventually war to suppress the rebellion by America.

DanSBHawk

Sergeant Major
Gee, what a wonderful thing free speech is. But if you dare to choose simple political independence and self-government, the guns will open fire and the bloody merciless slaughter will commence. Just like under the rule of any King, Dictator, Military Junta, or Mafia Don. Lincoln betrayed the sacred right to alter and abolish systems of government and made a mockery of the equally sacred idea of government by consent. And we are all diminished by his presidency.
Do you know who actually "opened fire" in the Civil War?

Duncan

Sergeant
But Lincoln did? He lived to see the 13th Amendment get through Congress, something he had a role in.
If it werent for a proslavery assassin, he would have lived to see it ratified and Kentucky forced to give up slavery
(so much obsession with Kentucky -- which was a divided state, providing many men to the confederate cause).

Glad to see we both would not like to live in the Confederacy

No idea what you are talking about
1. Lincoln had no role in the adoption of the 13th amendment. The President has zero constitutional authority under the amendment process of Article V (so dismissive of pro-slavery Kentucky - I'd have thought you would have cursed them for being slave-owners).

2. The Confederacy was a perfect example of government by consent. Lincoln's Union was an ugly union of brute force and involuntary coercion.

3. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:

NedBaldwin

Major
1. Lincoln had no role in the adoption of the 13th amendment. The President has zero constitutional authority under the amendment process of Article V.
Just because a President has no Constitutional authority in the process doesn't mean he has no role.
Read up on how the Presidency works or how the 13th Amendment came to be
If you dont want to read, go see the movie Lincoln

2. The Confederacy was a perfect example of government by consent. Lincoln's Union was an ugly union of brute force and involuntary coercion.
wrong again. The Confederacy was the opposite of government by consent, formed of States that governed without consent.

3. I have no idea what you're talking about.
Fun to see neither of us knows what you mean.

Duncan

Sergeant
Just because a President has no Constitutional authority in the process doesn't mean he has no role.
Read up on how the Presidency works or how the 13th Amendment came to be
If you dont want to read, go see the movie Lincoln

wrong again. The Confederacy was the opposite of government by consent, formed of States that governed without consent.

Fun to see neither of us knows what you mean.

1. Lincoln had no role in the adoption of the 13th amendment. The President has zero constitutional authority under the amendment process of Article V.

2. Wrong again. Lincoln's union was the opposite of government by consent, formed of States that governed without consent.

3. Hilarious to see neither of us knows what you mean.

DanSBHawk

Sergeant Major
Why yes we do. The pirates of the so called United states invaded other states and attacked Confederate property
They were lawless, belligerent aggressors seeking to enforce their freedom hating ways on the rest of us

Most little kids grew out of snarky, smug, antagonistic, attitudes when they were about 7 years old.
With all this America-hating vitriol, I'm starting to look forward to seeing more confederate statues come down. Do you think this helps your cause?

Not an expert but there were several attempts at compromise, with the 1861 peace conference the last real attempt. The last peace conference, if I remember correctly, did not include the deep south states that had already seceded. Compromise could not be reached from the border states and other union states that attended.

Have to keep in mind here that there was union sentiment along the border states at this time. Initially these states did not jump on board with the deep south states.
However, it would be remiss not to say there was support for secession among them also. These states were torn...what sent them over the cliff was Lincolns call for volunteers.
Now, imo, there is no guarantee the border states would have stayed in the union without the call for volunteers, that certainly hastened it.
Agreed. When Lincoln called for each state to send x number of soldiers to answer his call for an invasion, it tipped the hand.

There was never a serious discussion before Sumter. North Carolina contingent was in Washington negotiating to pay their portion of the federal debt, pay for the forts, etc. even while Lincoln had a convoy of armed ships headed for Sumter and Florida.

The popular propaganda was he was just going to resupply Sumter, but you don't need reinforcements to resupply. They could have slipped supplies in on small boats at night. Nothing could have been done. Beauregard knew that. Anderson knew that and it was his hope. They also knew Charleston would be in a vice with an armed Sumter on one side and ships on the other.

The next peace conference was to be held in June. Obviously, it never occurred.

BuckeyeWarrior

Corporal
Agreed. When Lincoln called for each state to send x number of soldiers to answer his call for an invasion, it tipped the hand.

There was never a serious discussion before Sumter. North Carolina contingent was in Washington negotiating to pay their portion of the federal debt, pay for the forts, etc. even while Lincoln had a convoy of armed ships headed for Sumter and Florida.

The popular propaganda was he was just going to resupply Sumter, but you don't need reinforcements to resupply. They could have slipped supplies in on small boats at night. Nothing could have been done. Beauregard knew that. Anderson knew that and it was his hope. They also knew Charleston would be in a vice with an armed Sumter on one side and ships on the other.

The next peace conference was to be held in June. Obviously, it never occurred.
Lincoln only called for troops after Fort Sumter was fired on. He did this because it was his constitutional duty to suppress rebellions and he was given the authority to call up the militia under the militia act of 1795.

It was not North Carolina, but South Carolina that sent commissioners to speak to President Buchanan to arrange payments for federal properties in South Carolina. Many which South Carolina had already seized. He told the commissioners he had no authority under the constitution to recognize a state out of the union.

"In answer to this communication, I have to say, that my position as President of the United States was clearly defined in the message to Congress of the 3d instant. In that I stated that, “apart from the execution of the laws, so far as this may be practicable, the Executive has no authority to decide what shall be the relations between the Federal Government and South Carolina. He has been invested with no such discretion. He possesses no power to change the relations heretofore existing between them, much less to acknowledge the independence of that State. This would be to invest a mere executive officer with the power of recognizing the dissolution of the Confederacy among our thirty-three sovereign States. It bears no resemblance to the recognition of a foreign
de facto government- involving no such responsibility. Any attempt to do this would, on his part, be a naked act of usurpation. It is, therefore, my duty to submit to Congress the whole question, in all its bearings.”

He also went on to warn them what would happen if they attacked Fort Sumter;

"It is not believed that any attempt will be made to expel the United States from this property by force; but if in this I should prove to be mistaken, the officer in command of the forts has received orders to act strictly on the defensive. In such a contingency, the responsibility for consequences would rightfully rest upon the heads of the assailants.”

The relief expedition to Fort Sumter was under orders not to fire unless fired upon. Jefferson Davis choose poorly in deciding to fire upon an American Fort. He reaped the whirlwind he sowed.

Lincoln only called for troops after Fort Sumter was fired on. He did this because it was his constitutional duty to suppress rebellions and he was given the authority to call up the militia under the militia act of 1795.

It was not North Carolina, but South Carolina that sent commissioners to speak to President Buchanan to arrange payments for federal properties in South Carolina. Many which South Carolina had already seized. He told the commissioners he had no authority under the constitution to recognize a state out of the union.

"In answer to this communication, I have to say, that my position as President of the United States was clearly defined in the message to Congress of the 3d instant. In that I stated that, “apart from the execution of the laws, so far as this may be practicable, the Executive has no authority to decide what shall be the relations between the Federal Government and South Carolina. He has been invested with no such discretion. He possesses no power to change the relations heretofore existing between them, much less to acknowledge the independence of that State. This would be to invest a mere executive officer with the power of recognizing the dissolution of the Confederacy among our thirty-three sovereign States. It bears no resemblance to the recognition of a foreign
de facto government- involving no such responsibility. Any attempt to do this would, on his part, be a naked act of usurpation. It is, therefore, my duty to submit to Congress the whole question, in all its bearings.”

He also went on to warn them what would happen if they attacked Fort Sumter;

"It is not believed that any attempt will be made to expel the United States from this property by force; but if in this I should prove to be mistaken, the officer in command of the forts has received orders to act strictly on the defensive. In such a contingency, the responsibility for consequences would rightfully rest upon the heads of the assailants.”

The relief expedition to Fort Sumter was under orders not to fire unless fired upon. Jefferson Davis choose poorly in deciding to fire upon an American Fort. He reaped the whirlwind he sowed.
Yes, sorry, South Carolina. I am sans coffee and was just writing a section on North Carolina, so I guess it's stuck in my head.

Lincoln called for troops after Ft. Sumter was fired on. However, the ships he sent to Sumter were not only laden with supplies, but also reinforcements. His official statement was he was only resupplying Anderson. That was a lie. He intended to reinforce the fort with more troops.

There is some dispute about whether he knew his secretary of war had split part of the convoy off to go to Florida or not. Some hold Lincoln blameless on that account.

Lincoln was not negotiating in good faith with South Carolina regardless of what may be believed. He was going to force the war. Now, what his thoughts were behind this no one knows. Many think that if South Carolina could be brought to heel that would be the end of it.

As I said before, Beauregard knew that Charleston would be in a vice with Sumter on one side and a fleet of armed ships on the other. She would be hammered.

My book starts out in the weeks leading up to the firing on Sumter. I've done quite a bit of research on this.

BuckeyeWarrior

Corporal
Yes, sorry, South Carolina. I am sans coffee and was just writing a section on North Carolina, so I guess it's stuck in my head.

Lincoln called for troops after Ft. Sumter was fired on. However, the ships he sent to Sumter were not only laden with supplies, but also reinforcements. His official statement was he was only resupplying Anderson. That was a lie. He intended to reinforce the fort with more troops.

There is some dispute about whether he knew his secretary of war had split part of the convoy off to go to Florida or not. Some hold Lincoln blameless on that account.

Lincoln was not negotiating in good faith with South Carolina regardless of what may be believed. He was going to force the war. Now, what his thoughts were behind this no one knows. Many think that if South Carolina could be brought to heel that would be the end of it.

As I said before, Beauregard knew that Charleston would be in a vice with Sumter on one side and a fleet of armed ships on the other. She would be hammered.

My book starts out in the weeks leading up to the firing on Sumter. I've done quite a bit of research on this.
It’s a US Fort, so Lincoln could reinforce it however he liked. He did not need any permission from the governor of a state to resupply a federal installation. I have never seen evidence that there were troop reinforcements being sent.

The bottom line is that there was nothing to negotiate between the southern rebels and America. The commissioners sent by South Carolina, and later the rebel government, started on the basis that they were separated from the Union.

The position of the United States government, as expressed by President Jackson in 1833 and President Buchanan and President Lincoln at the time, was that a state could not just vote itself out of the Union.

With two diametrically opposing starting foundations there really was nothing to negotiate.