Post 1861 Peace Convention, were there any other attempts to bring seceded states back into the Union?

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm maybe, but I they should've waited for the North to start the War.

As a propaganda ploy it sounds like a good idea, but giving the US, with its greater population and industrial capacity to produce war-making material, time to fully mobilize was a bad idea. If the Confederate government had some way of knowing that an enemy attack was imminent then I would agree that firing the first shot was a mistake.

NedBaldwin

Major
Perhaps the US public would have eventually tired of the whole affair, and actually wished to disassociate themselves from the slavery advocates? Maybe the US would have eventually wanted to get rid of the seceded states?
That's quite a perhaps. Given how belligerent things were already, I dont see that big a change of heart happening.

As a propaganda ploy it sounds like a good idea, but giving the US, with its greater population and industrial capacity to produce war-making material, time to fully mobilize was a bad idea. If the Confederate government had some way of knowing that an enemy attack was imminent then I would agree that firing the first shot was a mistake.
My argument is the inverse, waiting would've given the South time to prepare. However my argument is contigent on the North not prepping for war yet, were they already?

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
You mean they peacefully and lawfully seceded, then formed the 2nd largest country in North America, before being violently and lawlessly invaded by the slave-owning United States.

I mean nothing of the kind.

They tried to bluff their way out and when they couldn't, they stole everything of the nation that was not nailed down and then started a civil war with no good reason other than keeping slavery.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
The Confederate government was as legitimate as any government on earth, including the government of the slave republic of the United States.

In your personal opinion.

Historical fact shows it was never recognized as a legitimate government. Whereas the US government was fully recognized during the entire civil war as THE government of the United States, even the ones in rebellion.

Duncan

I mean nothing of the kind.

They tried to bluff their way out and when they couldn't, they stole everything of the nation that was not nailed down and then started a civil war with no good reason other than keeping slavery.

Why are you dragging the Slave-rebellion of 1776 into this? This thread is about the Confederates, not the traitorous, thieving, vanadalous, slavers and tax cheats of 1776.

Duncan

In your personal opinion.

Historical fact shows it was never recognized as a legitimate government. Whereas the US government was fully recognized during the entire civil war as THE government of the United States, even the ones in rebellion.

Historical fact shows that the CSA was irrefutably recognized as a legitimate power, and by the USA for that matter. And international recognition means nothing, absolutely nothing, in terms of statehood anyway. Just ask the slavers who rebelled in 1776. Better yet, read the DOI.

DanSBHawk

1st Lieutenant
Why are you dragging the Slave-rebellion of 1776 into this? This thread is about the Confederates, not the traitorous, thieving, vanadalous, slavers and tax cheats of 1776.
How bad has it become for confederate apologists nowadays? Seriously? Is this your strategy for defending the secessionists?

If so, "confederate heritage" will fade away even faster than I predicted. Maybe one more generation.

Duncan

How bad has it become for confederate apologists nowadays? Seriously? Is this your strategy for defending the secessionists?

If so, "confederate heritage" will fade away even faster than I predicted. Maybe one more generation.

Just how bad it is for Lincoln apologists anyway? Seriously? Are these their tactics for attacking Confederate history? They can't acknowledge the simple truth that the rebels of 1776 were traitors, secessionists, slave-owners, slave-traders, tax-cheats, vandals, and thieves? If not, then their poor posturing and "The Church of Lincoln" will evaporate faster than I thought. Maybe half a generation. Maybe not even that long.

Last edited:

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
The only way to prevent a State from lawfully seceding would have been to adopt a constitutional amendment prohibiting secession. And that, of course, was impossible. As for re-entry into the Union, that would have taken an act of Congress, and, of course, a petition from the State wishing to rejoin. Unthinkable, really.
Can you cite statutory or case law to support your assertion?
Leftyhunter

leftyhunter

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Have you ever read The Declaration of Independence?
That has nothing to do with the legitimacy of a country. The US didn't become a nation until France diplomatically recognized it. Until then it was merely a rebellious colony. There is a reason why new nations but time and money into trying to be diplomatically recognized.
Leftyhunter