Post 1861 Peace Convention, were there any other attempts to bring seceded states back into the Union?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!
After the 1861 Peace Convention were there any other attempts to bring the seceded states back into union before Sumter, or prevent states like VA, NC, TN, AR, from seceding completely?

Different member of Congress must have been having discussions, no? Don't quote me on this but I believe I heard Robert Toombs of GA was talking certain people to try to bring Georgia back into the Union?

Thanks ahead of time folks.

Duncan

Sergeant
The only way to prevent a State from lawfully seceding would have been to adopt a constitutional amendment prohibiting secession. And that, of course, was impossible. As for re-entry into the Union, that would have taken an act of Congress, and, of course, a petition from the State wishing to rejoin. Unthinkable, really.

Last edited:

Greywolf

Sergeant
Not an expert but there were several attempts at compromise, with the 1861 peace conference the last real attempt. The last peace conference, if I remember correctly, did not include the deep south states that had already seceded. Compromise could not be reached from the border states and other union states that attended.

Have to keep in mind here that there was union sentiment along the border states at this time. Initially these states did not jump on board with the deep south states.
However, it would be remiss not to say there was support for secession among them also. These states were torn...what sent them over the cliff was Lincolns call for volunteers.
Now, imo, there is no guarantee the border states would have stayed in the union without the call for volunteers, that certainly hastened it.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Answered the Call for Reinforcements
The only way to prevent a State from lawfully seceding would have been to adopt a constitutional amendment prohibiting secession. And that, of course, was impossible. As for re-entry into the Union, that would have taken an act of Congress, and, of course, a petition from the State wishing to rejoin. Unthinkable, really.
The issue both at and after the February 1861 Peace Conference was what compromises could be made to convince those States who had already proclaimed secession and those states where secession was being considered to stay.
There was not- so far as I've seen- any serious discussion of readmitting States since the position of the Lincoln Administration was that no State had left the Union.

The issue both at and after the February 1861 Peace Conference was what compromises could be made to convince those States who had already proclaimed secession and those states where secession was being considered to stay.
There was- so far as I've seen- any serious discussion of readmitting States since the position of the Lincoln Administration was that no State had left the Union.
that makes alot of sense.

I still don't understand the War, why not stay seceeded until you have to fight? Was it just the South Carolinians that wanted Sumter fired on? Did they press Davis to green light it?

Duncan

Sergeant
There was- so far as I've seen- any serious discussion of readmitting States since the position of the Lincoln Administration was that no State had left the Union.

This is incorrect. The seceded States were out of the Union, did not attend the conference, and had already established an independent country. They were gone, pure and simple.

NedBaldwin

Major
I still don't understand the War, why not stay seceeded until you have to fight? Was it just the South Carolinians that wanted Sumter fired on? Did they press Davis to green light it?
The only way to “stay” seceded was to fight
No one had recognized the alleged secession; the US had denied it and continue to have facilities in those states so it was an imaginary fiction until fought for.

unionblue

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Member of the Year
This is incorrect. The seceded States were out of the Union, did not attend the conference, and had already established an independent country. They were gone, pure and simple.
You mean they tried to get out of the Union, they had no intention of trying peaceful means for such, and were never recognized as an independent country. They tried, pure and simple and failed.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
Thanks for your response.
Certainly, the States of the Deep South (and Far West) did not participate in the Conference. And yes, an illegitimate 'government' was being formed. But Lincoln's policy was consistent both as then-president-elect and later as President: no State ever left the Union.

Duncan

Sergeant
You mean they tried to get out of the Union, they had no intention of trying peaceful means for such, and were never recognized as an independent country. They tried, pure and simple and failed.

You mean they peacefully and lawfully seceded, then formed the 2nd largest country in North America, before being violently and lawlessly invaded by the slave-owning United States.

Duncan

Sergeant
Certainly, the States of the Deep South (and Far West) did not participate in the Conference. And yes, an illegitimate 'government' was being formed. But Lincoln's policy was consistent both as then-president-elect and later as President: no State ever left the Union.

The Confederate government was as legitimate as any government on earth, including the government of the slave republic of the United States.

WJC

Major General
Judge Adv. Genl.
Thread Medic
The Confederate government was as legitimate as any government on earth, including the government of the slave republic of the United States.
Except that no other government in the world recognized their so-called 'government'. You see, it isn't enough to proclaim yourself a king or your property a country: you have to earn it.
And now, as this is showing little sign of addressing the topic under discussion, I will not participate in further 'thread derailment'. If you want to further discuss your views, I suggest that you post in one of the several existing threads that discuss this topic or start a new one.

Duncan

Sergeant
Except that no other government in the world recognized their so-called 'government'. You see, it isn't enough to proclaim yourself a king or your property a country: you have to earn it.
And now, as this is showing little sign of addressing the topic under discussion, I will not participate in further 'thread derailment'. If you want to further discuss your views, I suggest that you post in one of the several existing threads that discuss this topic or start a new one.
Except the United States themselves recognized the CSA as an independent power, and it most certainly is enough to proclaim yourself a country, because that's exactly what the colonists did in their Declaration of Independence.