Ammo Possibly the rarest fuse?

I have only seen one of these types of fuses ever! It is certainly an experimental fuse...

Have you guys seen anything like it other then the one on treasure net???
418F5D6C-7837-4125-8537-4B222E175C33.jpeg

Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. It is a very rare fuse as they never made it to the field during the CW.

Date – September 6, 1864 Title of Patent – Improvement in Combined Time and Concussion Fuse Patentee – Clifford Arick Location – St. Clairsville, OH Type of Fuze – Combination - flame ignited and percussion Claims – 1. Constructing a Bormann fuse case with its magazine on its index side and with an independent concentric fire chamber between its fuse chamber and magazine, substantially as described. 2. Combining with the magazine of a Bormann fuse case, and acting as a bottom to it, a hollow pin to serve as a means of fastening it in a shell or as a conductor of its flame through an intervening space or obstacle to the bursting charge thereof, substantially as set forth. 3. Combining with a Bormann fuse case thus constructed, with or without its independent fire chamber, by means of a central hollow pin, a concussion or percussion fuse, either or both, and whether ignitable by or independent of the windage flame, substantially as described. 4. So combining in a Bormann fuse case a fuse and concentric fire chamber that when the fuse is cut at the desired point the partition wall between the two chambers may be conveniently included in the cut, and they be thereby united, substantially as described. Critique – Combines the Bormann flame ignited fuze with the Tice percussion fuze. Tries to do everything and consequently is too complicated besides being more difficult to manufacture

I have an Arick/Eureka shell, but it is without a fuze and now I know what kind of fuze that it could have taken.

Last edited:
Welcome From THE Heart Of Dixie. It is a very rare fuse as they never made it to the field during the CW.

Date – September 6, 1864 Title of Patent – Improvement in Combined Time and Concussion Fuse Patentee – Clifford Arick Location – St. Clairsville, OH Type of Fuze – Combination - flame ignited and percussion Claims – 1. Constructing a Bormann fuse case with its magazine on its index side and with an independent concentric fire chamber between its fuse chamber and magazine, substantially as described. 2. Combining with the magazine of a Bormann fuse case, and acting as a bottom to it, a hollow pin to serve as a means of fastening it in a shell or as a conductor of its flame through an intervening space or obstacle to the bursting charge thereof, substantially as set forth. 3. Combining with a Bormann fuse case thus constructed, with or without its independent fire chamber, by means of a central hollow pin, a concussion or percussion fuse, either or both, and whether ignitable by or independent of the windage flame, substantially as described. 4. So combining in a Bormann fuse case a fuse and concentric fire chamber that when the fuse is cut at the desired point the partition wall between the two chambers may be conveniently included in the cut, and they be thereby united, substantially as described. Critique – Combines the Bormann flame ignited fuze with the Tice percussion fuze. Tries to do everything and consequently is too complicated besides being more difficult to manufacture
Thanks to your post on the subject, it’s encouraged me to do some research, I’ve learned that ‘Fuse’ spelt with an (s) is an electrical component that protects against over current, where as a fuze spelt with a (Z) is the mechanical/chemical component of an explosive, it’s probably very obvious to those interested in artillery but not so obvious to the uneducated like myself...I’m now going to be randomly checking posts for the wrong spelling of fuze/fuse...I’m heading over to the artillery forum to teach people the error of their ways.
Wish me luck..

Thanks to your post on the subject, it’s encouraged me to do some research, I’ve learned that ‘Fuse’ spelt with an (s) is an electrical component that protects against over current, where as a fuze spelt with a (Z) is the mechanical/chemical component of an explosive, it’s probably very obvious to those interested in artillery but not so obvious to the uneducated like myself...I’m now going to be randomly checking posts for the wrong spelling of fuze/fuse...I’m heading over to the artillery forum to teach people the error of their ways.
Wish me luck..
Good luck, you'll need it...:banghead:

Back