1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Possible Union Battery Tracks Found in Brady Panorama

Discussion in 'Battle of Gettysburg' started by Gettysburg Greg, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

Here is detail that only the real photo geeks among us will find as interesting as I do. :D The details that can be clearly seen under extreme magnification in Brady's panorama from Little Round Top are numerous and truly amazing. Among the battle related locations that can be seen, as pointed out in Frassanito's classic Early Photography at Gettysburg, are: the ground of Pickett's Charge; the Copse of Trees; Ziegler's Grove; the Court House; the open field that would become the National Cemetery; the Leister farm buildings, and more. However, my favorite, though somewhat insignificant detail is found along the Wheatfield Road running along the base of LRT. It appears the rock wall along the road has been knocked down to allow some military vehicle, probably artillery, to move into the field from the road. The tracks can be clearly see running north from the break in the wall.
    If details such as this interest you, I highly recommend that you check out Garry Adelman's presentation from the Gettysburg Heritage House available on youtube. Garry points out the numerous details I listed above within this photograph during the presentation. Here is the link:

I will post my cropped labeled detail along with the uncropped photograph.
    track mu.jpg

brady pan jpeg.jpg

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. mofederal

mofederal 2nd Lieutenant Member of the Month

Thanks for the views Greg. I can see the tracks, and the break in the wall clearly. I do like the tracks. Great views thanks for posting.

4. sjw83071

sjw83071 Corporal

5. RI-Tom

RI-Tom Cadet

That was awesome, Greg. Thanks for sharing

6. ikesdad

ikesdad Private

That's a good video but I gave it up when he went to that 3d ****.

JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  7. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

Keep in mind that with heavy rains and showers between July 4 and July 8, tracks made by artillery, ambulances, etc. during the battle might be expected to have largely disappeared. With many civilians arriving and traversing the fields in the days after the battle, fresh and prominent tracks from wagons and buggies, etc. could be made before the ground dried out in the good weather occurring between July 9 and July 11.

8. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

VERY COOL!!!....it also looks like to the left there are more wheel tracks that terminate behind a large rock..I would say that those are also tracks made by cannon and caisson....I mean who would drive a buggy or wagon up and just park there behind a rock??? There was probably a cannon using it (ALOT) as cover since there was no time on July 2 to throw up a well crafted lunette.

9. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

Greg,do you know what day these photos were taken??? July 5th???

EDIT: Ah...pardon me sir, there's just one more thing...Do you know who owned the house/building that is above the Weikert house and barn and slightly to the right at the top of the photo???

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  10. James N.

James N. Captain Forum Host Civil War Photo Contest
    Annual Winner
    Featured Book Reviewer

Indeed, Bigelow's 9th Massachusetts Battery got hemmed in the lot across the road from the Trostle barn and teams were trying to "climb" the stone wall there, so I can easily imagine a similar scenario here as well.

NH Civil War Gal and JohnW. like this.
  11. Will Carry

Will Carry Sergeant

Don't tell me you take old photographs and go over them with a magnifying glass to see things no one has ever noticed? To enhance the slice of life preserved forever on paper. To BOLDLY GO........OK I'll stop. I love studying old photos too.

12. Gettysburg Greg

Gettysburg Greg Sergeant

John, that is the Leister barn, if you look to the right of the barn you will see the Leister house with the white picket fence in front. The Taneytown Road is just to the right of the house.

NH Civil War Gal and JohnW. like this.
  13. JohnW.

JohnW. Sergeant Major

Ahhh...OK....gotcha...thanks!!!

14. Tom Elmore

Tom Elmore First Sergeant

If these were created by military vehicles, given their north-south axis, it might have been ordnance wagons sent along that path to gather up arms collected on the field after the battle was over.

JohnW. and Gettysburg Greg like this.
  15. bdtex

bdtex Brigadier General Moderator

There are all sorts of possibilities.

JohnW. likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)