Discussion Position of Steuart’s Brigade at Second Winchester on 15 June 1863

Tom Elmore

1st Lieutenant
Member of the Year
Lieutenant Whitfield G. Kisling, who served as Adjutant of the 10th Virginia regiment during the Gettysburg campaign, produced a simple but informative sketch showing the precise position of his regiment (along with the 1st and 3rd North Carolina regiments in Brigadier General George H. Steuart’s brigade), during the fight against Major General Robert F. Milroy’s force at Second Winchester on June 15, 1863. Kisling’s sketch nicely complements an equally informative map prepared by Jed Hotchkiss for use by Lieutenant General Richard S. Ewell in his official report of the campaign.

Attachment A is a blow-up of the Hotchkiss map showing only the deployment of the brigades under Steuart, Walker (Stonewall brigade) and Williams (Nicholl’s brigade) near Stephenson’s Depot, about four miles north of Winchester. (The complete map appears in the Wikipedia article on the Second Battle of Winchester.)

Attachment B is my hand-drawn version of Kisling’s sketch, including the notations he made, which define the positions held by the above three regiments in Steuart’s brigade, along with a single cannon from the “Baltimore Artillery,” which was posted at the railroad bridge, between the 10th Virginia and 1st North Carolina. The cannon was likely a 12-pounder Napoleon from Captain William F. Dement’s 1st Maryland Battery, since Kisling noted that it threw “grape and canister” against the enemy just 80 yards away. Kisling added that the piece was worked by the Adjutant of the 1st North Carolina, who must have been familiar with the mechanics, aided by some members from the 10th Virginia. Although I show the regiments adjacent to the railroad cut, they were actually in the cut and therefore well protected, according to two officers of the 1st North Carolina.

Incidentally, the 1st Maryland Battalion was absent and did not join the brigade until June 16, near Martinsburg. The 23rd Virginia also missed the fight on June 15, having been detached to guard the division wagon train on the Front Royal road. I do not know the location of the 37th Virginia during this fight.

Sources:
-W. G. Kisling Collection, Eleanor S. Brockenbrough Library, Museum of the Confederacy, Richmond, Virginia (now the American Civil War Museum in Richmond).
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Winchester
-Histories of the Several Regiments and Battalions from North Carolina, Third Regiment, North Carolina Troops, by Captains John Cowan and James I. Metts, I:178

Attachments

• WinchesterA.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • WinchesterB.pdf
    193.3 KB · Views: 11