Port Hudson

timewalker

Cadet
My wife is from Baton Rouge and we spend time there, visiting her family. I have gone to Vicksburg, but have not yet gone to Port Hudson, although it is fairly close to her parents house.

Has anyone been to Port Hudson? Is there much to see there?

Wish I could help you timewalker. I have no idea. Fortunately, you have joined civilwartalk, and there will be more than a couple of members to help you out.

ole

I hail from TX and have been to Vicksburg as well. I have not been to Port Hudson either and would like to visit there too. I do know that the state of MS wants to capitalize on the CW tourism that Vicksburg brings in each year and has started working on interpreting and marking a "civil war trail" along the rout of Grant's campaign. I would also like to know if there are any markers or tablets etc. at or around Champions Hill.

Mike T.

Last time I was anywhere near Champion's Hill, it was private property and you had to know someone who knew someone to get in. This was in '05, but I've heard some rumors that the situation might have changed some since then. We travelled the various approaches taken by both Federal and Confederate troops, but all we could do was eyeball a little ivy (poison) covered footpath that would have led to the hill itself.

And no. There were no markers.

ole

My wife is from Baton Rouge and we spend time there, visiting her family. I have gone to Vicksburg, but have not yet gone to Port Hudson, although it is fairly close to her parents house.

Has anyone been to Port Hudson? Is there much to see there?
Timewalker,
I go to Port Hudson every other year for the reenactment. Port Hudson is aprox 20 to 30 minutes from the North end of Baton Rouge. Port Hudson is controlled by the State of Louisiana Park Service. There is a nice museum, and several trails. Fort Desperate is still there with a walkway built over it. IMHO it is a nice place to visit. Don't expect a multitude of "things" to eww and ahh over. It will kill one afternoon, and make a nice conversation next time you want to talk about Vicksburg.

Timewalker,
I go to Port Hudson every other year for the reenactment. Port Hudson is aprox 20 to 30 minutes from the North end of Baton Rouge. Port Hudson is controlled by the State of Louisiana Park Service. There is a nice museum, and several trails. Fort Desperate is still there with a walkway built over it. IMHO it is a nice place to visit. Don't expect a multitude of "things" to eww and ahh over. It will kill one afternoon, and make a nice conversation next time you want to talk about Vicksburg.

Thanks! Sounds like as long as we're in the neighborhood, it is definitely worth the trip.

my GGGGrandfather & GGGUncle fought at Port Hudson.

And two of my my GGUncles fought at Gettysburg. Their father, my GGGGrandfather, enlisted in the 25th Ohio at age 60 as a private and died six months later of dysentary. My GGGrandfather was the youngest and too young to join, but of the other four boys in the family, the two at Gettysburg were in the Fourth Ohio, one joined but I do not recall where and one was apparently a deserter. There's one in every bunch!

that groud is a great place to walk and see the groud and i have done the weekend special events for the mouth and i have done the event for the reenactment each year. That sieze that was fight was the longest in US history for the civil war and i think the world too. When i have been to the reenactment there i went back in time and thought that i was in that time and thought that I was beening shoot at for real there and that groud has a special place in my heart for that is place where i had started reenacting about 16 years ago

lt kepper

We visited Port Hudson in late June. Interesting museum. They have done some excellent work in providing walkways so that you can see the trenches and forts without doing damage.

On our trip we visited Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg and Port Hudson and became somewhat expert in movies shown at visitor centers. One observation: at least one of the National Park movies ended with "Battle Hymn of the Republic" while the Louisiana state park at Port Hudson movie ended with "Dixie."

No, they have not updated the film at Shiloh. In my opinion, this film wins the award for "worst beards" in any film. The beards of the "actors" look like dyed squirrel tales glued to chins.

The movie was shown on a TV and the auditorium had a strong "musty" smell which usually means a problem with the AC sytem. Contrast that with the Corinth Interpretive Center with two wonderful, modern films and an absolutely first class building. Both of these facilities are in the Shiloh NMP system. Why would they put all of this money in the Corinth facility and neglect the Visitor Center on the battlefield? Could it be that Corinth is in Mississippi and Shiloh is in Tennessee? Nah.

The old movie show at the Shiloh Visitor's Center has been retired and a new one made.
Regards
David

Shiloh National Military Park's interpretive film, Shiloh - Fiery Trial, was honored with a Special Jury Award (First Place) at this year's Worldfest-Houston International Film Festival which took place in April. Worldfest, which began in 1961, is the oldest international film festival in the southern United States, and the only international film festival in North America dedicated to independent films. In addition, Worldfest was the first festival to present awards to several successful film makers such as Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, and Ang Lee.

The Special Jury Award is the highest award presented during the festival, honoring creative excellence in each major category. Fiery Trialand its director Chris Wheeler won in the category of "Historical Short." The award presented to the film is called a REMI, named for famed cowboy and western artist Frederick Remington.

Shiloh - Fiery Trial was filmed on location at Shiloh Battlefield in late March and early April of 2011 by Great Divide Pictures out of Colorado. The film debuted in April 2012 during the Sesquicentennial commemoration of the battle of Shiloh and was distributed nationally to PBS stations across the United States. To this date, Shiloh - Fiery Trial is the only National Park Service movie that has been televised nationally.

The 49-minute film, Shiloh - Fiery Trial, is shown daily in the park's visitor center auditorium on the hour beginning at 8:00 am with the last showing at 4:00 pm. The visitor center is free and open every day from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm except Christmas Day. The film is also available for purchase in DVD and Blu-Ray formats in the park bookstore which is also open daily from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.

The thread starter,timewalker,has not been in CivilWarTalk since 2009.

Back