Port Hudson,March 25-26,2017

The Yanks close the works. The Rebs send out a company to flank them on the left.

2017-03-25 14.25.19.jpg

2017-03-25 14.25.28.jpg

I'm sorry - seeing things like this are just SAD; I can too easily remember when reenactments looked more like THIS:

135th-41-jpeg.39077.jpg

And this was only about HALF or less of the Federal line, with even more Confederates waiting just across the valley to make their attack!

I'm sorry - seeing things like this are just SAD; I can too easily remember when reenactments looked more like THIS:

View attachment 131495

And this was only about HALF or less of the Federal line, with even more Confederates waiting just across the valley to make their attack!
What event was that? I was told by a Park Ranger that the nasty weather scared off a few participants and that there is a Texas group that is only there in even-number years.

Sunday morning,as the Yanks drilled in the fields,the Confederate fife and drum corps held an impromptu concert. Turned out,these three guys are brothers. I talked to the one on the right a bit and asked about his musical background. He started out in grade school. He told me also that there are not many musicians in the ranks of re-enactors. I was surprised by that for some reason.

2017-03-26 10.56.37.jpg

Sunday morning,as the Yanks drilled in the fields,the Confederate fife and drum corps held an impromptu concert. Turned out,these three guys are brothers. I talked to the one on the right a bit and asked about his musical background. He started out in grade school. He told me also that there are not many musicians in the ranks of re-enactors. I was surprised by that for some reason...

image-26-jpg.100602.jpg

Probably just another indication of how reenacting is a shrinking hobby - above, the Fourth Georgia Regimental Band (alternately known as the Americus Band when doing civilian impressions) at a living history encampment in Vicksburg NMP; below, the regimental field music of the Frontier Battalion at the 135th Gettysburg:

135th-16-jpeg.38879.jpg

The first Yankee assault was repulsed. They retreated,brought up a reserve company,reformed and hit 'em again.

2017-03-26 13.56.59.jpg

2017-03-26 13.57.10.jpg

2017-03-26 13.57.08.jpg

Some final thoughts(maybe :D) about the 3/25-26/2017 Port Hudson Re-enactment. As I and James N. indicated,the number of re-enactors there was kinda small. Weather had something to do with it and being an odd-numbered year had a little to do with it. I still had a blast. It was my first full-scale re-enactment event to attend,so there really wasn't anything to compare it to in my experience. There were a number of women there in period dress but there wasn't a lotta photo ops for that or maybe I just wasn't interested that much. There were a coupla places where spectators could walk through the camps,but I didn't do it. Felt kinda funny about that. The participants were very friendly and willing to talk and answer questions. Several times I heard them stressing that education is one of their priorities. This spectator appreciates that.

Next event by all means walk through the camps and talk to everyone. Most reenactors love to share what they do with everyone, it`s why we do it. It`s very rewarding to talk to spectators that are enjoying the event and that`s how we get new recruits. Actually the smaller events like this are better for that because we usually aren`t quite as busy and everything is usually closer. You might just get the bug and be falling in before you know it. Thanks for posting the pics and hope you enjoyed it

Next event by all means walk through the camps and talk to everyone. Most reenactors love to share what they do with everyone, it`s why we do it. It`s very rewarding to talk to spectators that are enjoying the event and that`s how we get new recruits. Actually the smaller events like this are better for that because we usually aren`t quite as busy and everything is usually closer. You might just get the bug and be falling in before you know it. Thanks for posting the pics and hope you enjoyed it
I know you're right but it just didn't feel right going into somebody else's camp. I just have to try to change my mindset about that before I go again.

Back